Home studios

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have a question on recording vocals in your room.

Im in the process of buying a mixer and a mic. A behringer MX1604A and a rode nt1a condenser mic. First let me explain my setup.
I will have the triton, monitors and mic plugged into the mixer. Then the mixer to the pc where i will record. Then the outcoming sound of the soundcard back to the mixer for further mixing or as a control station for the final outcome of the sound.

Im only knowledgable in dynamic mics.

Anyways im curious on how you guys record with condenser mics.
I picture the room quiet and the mc having my studio headphones with him able to hear the music playing along with his vocals. I guess if the room must be quiet the monitors must be off right? or can they be played low?

How do you guys go about recording vocals in the same room? whether it be in the closet or out side the closet.

Thanks.

numerike

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I have a similar setup with the mic into the mixer, mixer out to pc, pc out to amp, amp to speakers/headphones. When i plug in the headphones however, the speakers automatically mute and everything comes out of the headphones (mic and audio from pc). There isnt really a purpose to have the speakers playing low in the background, but it gets annoying constantly taking the headphone jack out and back in when you wanna hear the mix on the monitors.

D

DJlow2

some MC's wanna hear themesleves on the speakers... and some prefer the headphones...

light

Producer
ill o.g.
Dont let the speakers play while you record. the mic will pick it up. you should get a splitter so you both can have headphones. or maybe get a box from radio shack that will take your RCA out from your pc and split it, so you can use two different sources. one that powers the headphones and one for the speakers. or both at the same time. (A, B or A+B). or run the signal back thru the mixer and hook up the headphones to the mixer.

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks for the help guys but yeah i will run the headphones from the mixer.