Horn VST

• beat this! voting starts in...

Malice

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Thanks guys Ive been using VST a lot more ever since my SP-303 died. Anyone know where I can find some good horn samples online?

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
heres a little secret. for trombones check out merengue and salsa. spanish sounds almost always feature trombones and trumpets.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
horns are tricky when it comes to vst but some options would be a library for kontakt i.e. chris heins horns, or vienna's brass series (they also have a kontakt library), or saxlab. check kvr for brass

even if you get a really good vst, whether it's modeled or uses samples, the real tricky part is playing it in a way that's either believable or at least not cheesy. the next step is making sure it isn't too thin, keeping or creating some dynamics, and mixing it properly so you don't get masking and other freq related problems

L

law221

For me to get full sounding horns I combine a few of them in various VSTs. Combine a french horn, a trumpet, a sax, etc. Just play around and you'll be surprised at the kinds of sounds that you can generate. Or, if you have any brass sample packs, just layer some of the different brass sections with one another. Good luck!