How did you start making beats?

TACTIK

The most unique producer on here
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 527
Yamaha PSR730.jpg
I got one of these in 7th grade ('97) with a multi track recorder. I learned how to play drums on the drum kits!
It's still a good keyboard for a MIDI controller. They keys are are better velocity sensed than my Axiom Pro.
Time to sell the Axiom and stop trying to look cool!

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yo that keyboard looks mad cheesy!

I was DJ'ing in the 90s and always liked the technical part of music so I bought a drum machine (Roland R-70) and a sample (Akai S20) and started making beats. I also had a cheesy Casio that I didn't actually use much. Once I got into software though (Cakewalk Pro Audio), everything changed!

TACTIK

ill o.g.
Yeah the sounds are pretty cheesy on it too...the 808s sounded good though! haha
Grew up with cheesy Casio's all through childhood. Thats great you had good named equipment back then! I started sampling in '01 and didnt use a keyboard or midi controller for about 8 years after that. Got any of your old beats?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah the sounds are pretty cheesy on it too...the 808s sounded good though! haha
Grew up with cheesy Casio's all through childhood. Thats great you had good named equipment back then! I started sampling in '01 and didnt use a keyboard or midi controller for about 8 years after that. Got any of your old beats?
Not the beats from that gear, but yeah some of the ones from around 2000. I still have some sounds I chopped on the S20, actually I need to dig into those.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
Must've been back in 04-05... Maybe 06. I was beginning to teach myself how to play guitar and met a friend of a friend who was making beats. I actually just noticed he is a member here. His name is F1ndforty, it doesnt look like hes been active for a while, but he showed me the basics of FL and thats where I got started. We used to hang out and make beats together, the beats werent very good, but its was sooo much fun. lol

It wasn't until the Blakroc album came out in 09 when my laptop fried and I got an imac and started using Garageband. Blakroc inspired me to experiment with recording live guitars and using them in my beats. Thats when I started down the road trying to find "my" own sound... I try not to use any samples or loops. My beats could prob be better if I did, but I feel like its more original and more a part of me if I play all parts myself

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Impulse Tracker in 97-98... good times, wish I still had some of those early joints.. they were terrible.

maxresdefault.jpg

TACTIK

ill o.g.
I first stated sampling with an old program called GoldWave in 2001. I used it for sound effects to modify an online 1st person shooter's guns (rogue spear). A few times I made beats on it before one of my fellow mod downloaders told me about Fruity Loops (2.56). As soon as i opened it and saw you could load ANY WAV FILE...I knew that FL studio was going to be the shit!
goldwave.gif

members online