How do beat makers get signed?

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
watup,

how do beat makers get on major labels? for example how did Just Blaze get on Roc-A-Fella when he doesnt even rap (unlike Kanye who does).... do they just send the label an instrumental CD? or do they put out mixtapes with emcees over their tracks?

sAfE.

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
for me, sending shit to major labels is a waste. i dont wanna be bugging them, i want them bugging me. so figure out a plan, and D.I.Y.

If you're dope, you will create a buzz. and if you're smart, just keep pushing forward and people will come to you. Doing mixtapes is a smart idea, you can really gain some fame & many connections going that route.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Similar to like what Hoppa said, its mostly about who you know and building relationships. You have to be in the right market and try to network with people in the business. ex- get cool with someone who might be cool with someone who nows, Jay-Z. The word trickels down that hes looking for tracks, and if your beats are tight you might get some work. Then the more comfortable they get around you, your chances are better to get put on full-time.

"The Oz"

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
to be honest, before all that other stuff u need to make sure your ready.

I hear too many cats(on here and other places) who talk about getting signed and selling professinal beats.To put it frankly most of their shit is not up to par.(im not talkin about you persnally rhythimcal). There is a big differnce between being able to make a hot track and being a professnial producer.

before u even get out there u need to honestly ask yourself if you have the skills and the cataloge to compete in that cut throat market.

As for myself, i am giving myself antother year to devlope befroe i really start grinding.(moving to NY next summer). Like OZ said you have to be in the right market. But again most importantly u have to have dope shit. and your friends saying your beats are dope dosent count. You really have to have and orignal sound and marketing plan.

Thats the hardest part, onces all those things are established,people will come to you.

Try camping out in front of a famous studio and waiting for people

class....

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
and you have to know where to find those people... The Us states is big. In Montreal, we have Celine Dion. But for the moment, she is in las vegas... but all her familiy is here. I even know someone that knows her. But jeez, what does she know about hiphop anyways.....

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I also like what Nottz had to say in the first issue of "Scratch". He said before you make one beat you should go read a book about the music business. I bought the book "All you need to know about the music business" by Donald S. Passman a year ago. But I havnt been on my shit and reading it like I should be.

beats18

ill o.g.
Ozmosis said:
I also like what Nottz had to say in the first issue of "Scratch". He said before you make one beat you should go read a book about the music business. I bought the book "All you need to know about the music business" by Donald S. Passman a year ago. But I havnt been on my shit and reading it like I should be.

I read this book a few years ago. It has some bits of good info but it's more directed toward artists (like bands) not producers(especially not hip hop producers). After reading all that i still didn't have an inderstanding of how to break into the hip hop production industry. So i recommend going into the table of contents and skip to the spots that interest you or pertain to you.

peace

beats18

ill o.g.
I also agree with classic on this thread. A lot of people are not ready to be prosfessional producer. First many beats on here do not compare to the industry in anyways. Second you have to have other knowledge as far as putting a song together such as working with an artist and having an ear for arranging vocals. I recommend working with local talent to increase your skills and and producing (entire songs) experience. I am not saying i am better than anyone here, in fact it still isn't my time to approach the indusrty but yall have to be realisitic in accessing yourself. Get opinions from strangers too.

peace

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
If it wasnt such a bad idea, Id say stalk some industry cats... but I email, call, and do the whole gig. I think if u can squander up enough loot and put out some mixtapes or your own cd w/ random mc's or local cats thats a good start.

P

pmJ

I havent really thought about shoppin beats vs. myself as an artist, but one of our crew members does it. Seems like you almost have more of a chance to get a foot in the door with production vs. being an artist. I'm no pro at this biz by any means, just learing as I go. Yeah, I can see big time industry cats wantin a pro sound, but would they still consider skill if the mix wasnt commercial quality, or they want the instant hit type deal? PM

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
aight thanx for the ideas.

sAfE.

juzblazwun

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I say create a buzz where you at and make them muthafuckas' come looking for you. If yo shit is hot they'll wanna get burned!

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
theres so many people making beats, and many of them are good, so its hard to stand out and get money.

sAfE.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
It all about networking your self with other rappers, make a tight beat and give it to a dude for free, next thing ya know he is running back to ya, then you sell him one, then he tells his boys about you and they come to ya, its all about networking and luck, and also being in the right place at the right time.

ill o.g.
juzblazwun said:
I say create a buzz where you at and make them muthafuckas' come looking for you. If yo shit is hot they'll wanna get burned!

AMEN to that. Me my self I am takin the mixtape route by havin different folks spit to my beats then puttin it all together on a compilation cd. Thats what I'm doin now to get my buzz started.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i also agree with Classic and Beats 18... another issue is being able to work on demand... to be honest i wouldnt want... and i dont think any other producer (not beat maker... producer) should want to be signed to a label.... being a independant producer is the best thing .... you have no loyaltys to no 1 but u . you can make beats for whoever u want... be collecting a check from 50 cent and jarule @ the same time..... man for get having a roc chain on,,, dont give me a contract.. CUT A DAMN CHECK .... and dats real

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I agree with just about everything that was said so far except that sometimes it's the the ideas that sells also. I have a friend who is a very well known producer here in europe. One day we were sitting in the studio going over another one of his over 50 top ten hits; and I asked him how in the hell did he get so far so fast in just producing. Now this guy has a major studio with all the bells and whistles; he said to me look around do you see all of this shit? Do you think I know how to use any of it? I said hell I would think that you would have to know something. He says hell naw dog. That's the problem with most cats tryin' to break into this producing game. They are too busy worrying about being technical and how to make their beats sound like some record that they heard. First of all, you have to have an idea or an original concept and then you can take it from there. He said , I am not a technician or even a good musician. I can play a few keys and what not; but the reason that I have all these hits is that I'm the man with the fresh ideas! If I need some type of instrument played then I bring in a musician and tell him what I want to hear and he plays it for me. If I want one of my beats to sound super professional or whatever then I take it to good mastering studio and get it tightened up! Protools?!! I got a cat that can turn protools inside out. Why should I rack my brain trying to master all that shit? I concentrate on the music. I have my ideas and I have in my head exactly how they should sound and I just use these technicians to bring that shit to life! I put my ideas where they can be heard and bam there's another one! I do just what a producer should do "I produce hit ideas that make hit songs!" Okay now, I laughed at him at first too; but I could'nt laugh at all of the gold and platinum records hanging on the wall. His concept made it seem so simple it was funny.
ONE