how do i improve me sound

jayhask

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
my sound is not that good. ..i compare my beatsto others and thesound is totally different, i use the mixer but i cant get that god sound what should i do?

O

open mind

u need to be more specific.

in general i would say BULLSHIT in BULLSHIT out. start with great sounding VSTs/Samples as your source to avoid BULLSHIT.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
getting "god" sound may take an eternity, I suggest reading up on mixing and buying good sounds in he meantime and let time take its course..

I think he meant good...

And I'll say like Open said, be more specific... What doesnt sound good? The instruments/sounds you're using? Or is it that you beats are muddy? Or they dont bang as you would like.... maybe it's all of the above...

O

open mind

post your muzik in the showcase thats how i started to improve! cause of illfam. diffrent feedbacks and views/advices gonna help you too.and dont forget the search function of the site theres huge info about diffrent technics that helps you achieving the sound u want.

ill o.g.
Start with quality VSTi's and .wav samples. Adjust volume and pan out your instruments, carve out frequencies that clash against one another with your parametric EQ, reverb makes sounds sit back in the mix. Clone channels and pan one side to the left and one to the right. Compression will bring up lower levels to make the overall volume seem louder. Avoid clipping by staying out of the red in your Master and mixer channels. ~PEACE~

M

monokrome

Hope you don't mind long replies... :p

The best tools for getting lame sounds to really sound nice are EQ and compression.

If you ask me, the difference between a good producer and a great producer is compression. It's overlooked a lot, but a very useful tool.

Try not to use too many delay/reverb filters while you're learning the mixing stuff. This was my big crutch when I first started with beats. They create a really good sound when they are used right... but if you get too used to them, they can be a huge problem in any mix.

Basically, you should never cover up a bad sound by adding more sounds over it... It'll just get cluttered. If you learn about EQ/Compression, all you need is practice to get the sound you're looking for.

L

Lil Greggs

Yea Compression and EQ can make a good sample sound good. The new EQ 2 in FL7 is realy useful for mixing. Also you can add reverb to instruments like string a bit of reverb on string make the strings sound fucking good. Peace out.

Daikomo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What if.... if the drums are being drowned out by others souds..i mean i've tried turning the drums up and the some of the other souds down a bit.. but it does't sounds right you know what i mean.. any thoughts or tips on what i could do?

-Daikomo-

paradigmshifter

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
This might end up being a long reply... this is all with FL plug-ins...

1. Start by putting the Multiband compressor on the master channel but set all the bands to BYPASS, now turn on the limiter and set the o/p to 0 (zero)... this will help you avoid clipping from your main mix...

Keep in mind the signal flow on the mixer... if you put a compressor in SLOT 1 of a mixer channel and then an EQ in SLOT 2, the signal will be Compressed first and then EQed... I recommend EQ first, then compress, that way you'll boost the improved signal coming out of your EQ (if you EQ right)...

2. Normalize your samples... and don't use MP3 samples please...

3. Route each section of the drums to an individual mixer channel... Kick, Snare, Hi hats, Cymbals, Toms, Percussion, etc... imagine you are recording a real drum set... panning is up to you, whatever sound good to you...

4. Layer your drums... if that snare is drowning, layer 2 more snares on top of it, send them all to the same channel, EQ/Compress and you'll have a nice sounding snare... same w/ kick drums, hats and everything else...

5. BUS your drum mix... take the signals from your drum channels out of the master and send them to a single bus... now you have overall control of your drum mix and the possibility to add another layer of compression and/or EQ to make the drums jump out... maybe a lil' reverb too... not to wet, short decay... boom, your have real sounding drums...

I'm tired of typing, hope that helps...

Peace.

www.myspace.com/sonicparadigmshift