How do I mix vocals to sound like this #2 (Rock-ish distorted)

Idk if I should just continue the last one or would that count as "bumping up the post", but anyway, I tried everything and I still can't vocals to be like this.

You hear on some parts adeles vocals go Distorted, but they're not bad distorted, it kinda sounds satisfying. like on 1:21 and 1:46. when I try to do that it kinda becomes earrape. I didn't really know what to search for in youtube and stuff, so as a last resort, dear illiens.

What the fuck do I do?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
Video says unavailable... but lemme chuck some random suggestions out.

Parallel process the vocals and apply saturation/distortion to one and blend it.

You can also split your vocal frequencies and only saturate specific frequency bands.

You could also use a compressor that has a lot "character" and heavily compress and blend a duplicate vocal signal.

You could also do this excusively to like doubled or bg panned vocals to give it a wider/thicker sound.

Video says unavailable... but lemme chuck some random suggestions out.

Parallel process the vocals and apply saturation/distortion to one and blend it.

You can also split your vocal frequencies and only saturate specific frequency bands.

You could also use a compressor that has a lot "character" and heavily compress and blend a duplicate vocal signal.

You could also do this excusively to like doubled or bg panned vocals to give it a wider/thicker sound.
Thanks, I'll try to try all that, maybe I should do all of them together to make it work!

the song is "Rumour has it" by Adele btw.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
So yeah... that could be reamped/re-mic'd vocals. That could be adding distortion or such.

It could also be mic'd hot in the first place. Could be type of mic/hardware its ran through too.

You can try like amp-sims to subtle amounts. Could probably be done numerous ways, but definitely mimics some older techniques.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
To me, it sounds like distorted + hyper-compressed to prevent from raping your ears. I'm confident you can achieve this by tweaking Decapitator from Soundtoys...

I would guess Adele probably distorted an expensive vintage tube mic from the very beginning of the signal chain...

To me, it sounds like distorted + hyper-compressed to prevent from raping your ears. I'm confident you can achieve this by tweaking Decapitator from Soundtoys...

I would guess Adele probably distorted an expensive vintage tube mic from the very beginning of the signal chain...

ooooooh that's helpful. What really impressed me about the adele voc mix tho is that the distortion only activates when her vocal is getting louder than a certain limit thing, the closest I got to doing that was by playing around with saturation but I'm kinda lost on that too..

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
ooooooh that's helpful. What really impressed me about the adele voc mix tho is that the distortion only activates when her vocal is getting louder than a certain limit thing, the closest I got to doing that was by playing around with saturation but I'm kinda lost on that too..

You could have your vocals divided into 2 separate parallel channels. One clean. The other one with a gate only opening when the vocal reaches the desired volume and then distort this channel only and sidechain-compressing the clean one... Does that make sense?