how do u name your tracks?

• beat this! results coming in...

breal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
how about this? the most important thing is the genre/style then maybe date then bpm then name? then maybe the sample that was used?

example

durtysouf_04.16.07_98bpm_roof_is_on_fire
westcoast_04.17.07_90bpm_ridin_my_64
westcoast_02.12.04_92bpm_bubbling
eastcoast_04.10.06_95bpm_hip_hop_aint_dead(sample aretha franklin see saw)

I would name my samples like this but not my tracks.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
no need to name your samples differently and all this stuff, i think you're makin it too complicated man...

look the easiest way is have a folder called "beats" or whatever you like. in it, have a project folder for every beat, containing all samples used, sequencer files, mp3s of thebeat, whatever. name it whatever you like. all you need to do is drag your mp3s into itunes once done. just fill out their info appropriately...put your production name, maybe the month you made it under album (i do february 2007 beats, for example), rate it using the star system, enter the bpm. from then on, you have a completely searchable database of your beats that you can sort by date, genre, bpm, stars, whatever. and if you put anything in the comment field...i.e. "west coast" or an artist who you frequently work with who you think it would fit, put his name in the comments, because the comments are searchable. i don't know how you can keep your stuff as searchable and easy to find as this.

and when you need to retrieve the mp3, just right click the song's name in itunes and select "show in finder" (or whatever the equivalent is on pc). the song's physical mp3 file pops up, and it should be sitting in a folder next to all of the beat's files.

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i name em whtvr i feel like for example:
Jew Fro, Batty Rider, Chicken Nuggets and other wack ass shit cuz i dont really care about the names its not like the name of the beat is important

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i name em whtvr i feel like for example:
Jew Fro, Batty Rider, Chicken Nuggets and other wack ass shit cuz i dont really care about the names its not like the name of the beat is important

^WORD,on my Triton you only get 7 charcters to name ya track with.

veon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i just write whatever comes first in mind. the name will change anyway when its build up in a full feature song

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
I name em mostly based on the name of the song were the sample comes from or what the vocals in the sample say.
I don't order them by dates, i just remember all the beats how they sound, and the really old beats i delete them, i only keep my best and most recent beats.

Voo

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I look randomly around the room and pick something - presto .... name.

Its a little awkward when cats are like, "yo, whats up with that one beat with the cartoon stabs and shit?"

"oh, you mean "Krystal Chic"?

"naw, the one with those real hyper kicks"

"ooooh, you talking about Paper Clip or Spaghettios?

"whatever man... forget it."

"damn"

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
one time i was editing some audio but using my flat monitor like a laptop and then open cubase. when prompted to name the folder i was too lazy to get up and type so i just copied and pasted a word from a notepad game faq i had opened, digital devil saga 2, and used that for the name.

i now use this method because 1. i hate typing. 2. i've never liked those simple song titles and 3. the names go well with my name and mentality:evillaugh:evillaugh

P

PlanetHitz

I usually have a strange way of naming tracks. Mostly they don't make sense, but sometimes I hear pieces of the vocal hook and call it that. Then if I continue with the beat and dont want to lose the original idea, changing the processing and etc, I'll make a version like MixA, MixB, C D so forth.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
PlanetHitz; said:
I usually have a strange way of naming tracks. Mostly they don't make sense, but sometimes I hear pieces of the vocal hook and call it that. Then if I continue with the beat and dont want to lose the original idea, changing the processing and etc, I'll make a version like MixA, MixB, C D so forth.

Thats actually one of the better things Ive heard here...But we dont always hear the hooks off top.Good stuff.

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I usually name my productions/beats according to:
Who or how it sounds
What or who it mimic's
or
Mostly how i feel at that moment while producing it