How do YOU do it?

spartan265

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
ok so common sense dictates that the most logical way to get exposure as a producer, is to make hot beats, and get hot artist on them, thereby eventually getting to the point where the audience associates your name with top flight production and catchy ditties... fair enough.
So you've got your hot beat, but as a budding, and as yet unknown producer you cant just call up jay and organize the studio session. oh no, unfortunately for us we must all start small. so what do you do instead? well you have a homie who raps and he wants beats, then maybe his boy raps too and you slide him a couple of beats and so on and so forth. but im a man who believes in statistics; and im sure everybody will agree that the more beats you make and give away, the higher the chance that eventually one of them will make a mark, or one of those artist whom you produced for will make a break through.
so my question is this:
apart from the aforementioned method of producing for people you already know and networking through them, does any one have any tips and/or alternative methods to share, on expanding your potential artist market? How do you go about promoting the fact that your a producer, and more importantly, how are you going about getting to that next level?
There are the obvious:
get a myspace
start a facebook group
maybe make yourself a website etc
but i know theres a couple of very savy dudes on this forum so any incite is welcome.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Get with an artst you think is dope and make noise together. pull your resources.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
get with a movement in your local scene, "Labels" are ALWAYS looking for original producers...stay AWAY from soundclick if you want to work in the mainstream.

Know your paper work INSIDE and OUT, that way when you finally do get that placement on that mainstream release, you wont get raped.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
It sounds like you already know what to do so I'm gonna answer this on a different perspective. I would create my goals on a realistic timeline, then I would pursue them relentlessly, never taking "no" for an answer...each goal accomplished would lead to another goal that will be even more demanding as the previous goal. It's Ok to do the free stuff but the idea is to get away from that and gradually charge for what they are worth and even over-charging (which is around Diddy's or Kanye's fees...).

A lot of grinding in between start to finish but the idea is to climb that ladder that most producers stop at when they reach the first step. You gotta have that "NO IS NOT AN OPTION" approach. Dont be overly cocky but understand that other producers made it this far but stalled out and never accomplished their goals. The people that you need to advance your career must KNOW that - if you tell me "NO", I'm either going around you or through you to get where I need to be.

In conclusion, get your contacts, get your buzz, get your timeline, get that never take "NO" attitude and get going. Fugg everything else!

spartan265

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
It sounds like you already know what to do so I'm gonna answer this on a different perspective. I would create my goals on a realistic timeline, then I would pursue them relentlessly, never taking "no" for an answer...each goal accomplished would lead to another goal that will be even more demanding as the previous goal. It's Ok to do the free stuff but the idea is to get away from that and gradually charge for what they are worth and even over-charging (which is around Diddy's or Kanye's fees...).

A lot of grinding in between start to finish but the idea is to climb that ladder that most producers stop at when they reach the first step. You gotta have that "NO IS NOT AN OPTION" approach. Dont be overly cocky but understand that other producers made it this far but stalled out and never accomplished their goals. The people that you need to advance your career must KNOW that - if you tell me "NO", I'm either going around you or through you to get where I need to be.

In conclusion, get your contacts, get your buzz, get your timeline, get that never take "NO" attitude and get going. Fugg everything else!

yea thats good advice.. so your saying its a mentality as opposed to a step by step methodology.. makes sense.. coz like most things in life i guess there isnt really a formula.. thanks for the feedbak dac!

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19

Doppeeee advice.. thats exactly the attitude you need to go places in this biz..

sent_inc

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 15
Think outside of the box

Hip Hop is in everything. Try not to limit yourself to rappers. Try to find an aspiring Fashion designer who need music for their show,a young film maker or playwrite. I think the key is just getting your music in use.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
ok so common sense dictates that the most logical way to get exposure as a producer, is to make hot beats, and get hot artist on them, thereby eventually getting to the point where the audience associates your name with top flight production and catchy ditties... fair enough.
So you've got your hot beat, but as a budding, and as yet unknown producer you cant just call up jay and organize the studio session. oh no, unfortunately for us we must all start small. so what do you do instead? well you have a homie who raps and he wants beats, then maybe his boy raps too and you slide him a couple of beats and so on and so forth. but im a man who believes in statistics; and im sure everybody will agree that the more beats you make and give away, the higher the chance that eventually one of them will make a mark, or one of those artist whom you produced for will make a break through.
so my question is this:
apart from the aforementioned method of producing for people you already know and networking through them, does any one have any tips and/or alternative methods to share, on expanding your potential artist market? How do you go about promoting the fact that your a producer, and more importantly, how are you going about getting to that next level?
There are the obvious:
get a myspace
start a facebook group
maybe make yourself a website etc
but i know theres a couple of very savy dudes on this forum so any incite is welcome.

I'm here to tell you that producers don't need myspace, facebook, or even a website to make themselves relevant. These are just TOOLS. The answer lies in the person and 1.) how well they understand the game they're playing and 2.) how bad they want to succeed

If you're very smart and talented, there are less risks you have take. Unfortunately, most talented people people don't look into the resources that will make them smart, so they take sacrifices and become smart through getting burned in bad deals.

1.) Learn/read about building a personal brand. Determine what makes you unique and what separates you.
2.) Start where you are AT.
3.) Watch and learn who are the key players
4.) Try to complete entire projects instead of one-off beats unless its a single
5.) Find new ways to maximize your talent. For example, make Youtube videos of your beat making process, Ustream studio sessions, videotape if you're out DJing, make flyers, t-shirts etc.

If you want it bad enough and you humble yourself and learn from the best, you'll be fine. Most people don't want it bad enough though. Good luck.

members online