How do you do your drums?

Fila

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I'm interested in how you lay down your drums for a song? How and using what?

I've been using Fruity Loops as a drum machine, but I'm interested in moving onto something better. What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

B

bigbeatz26

I started off with fruity loops also. My next move was the MPC 2000XL. If you got the extra cash to spend, then I suggest the MPC. This is a highly versatile machine.

Fila

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yes I've heard a lot about the MPC, but at the level that I'm at now I think it wouldn't be a wise decision to invest in such hardware this point.

Any software suggestions maybe??

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

I program my drums from hardware synth modules like the Roland XV-5050 and Emu Proteus 2000, I use Cubase to sequence them...I also sample drums off audio cd's, chop them up and add other sounds to them in Cool Edit, and save them out as entire drum loops...then I bring them into Cubase and play them along with my drums from my hardware synths.

Take care,

Nick

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Whatup Fila,

I recently got an AKAI MPD-16 which I use to program my drums. It's basically the pads from a MPC that you can use on your PC. I got it brand new for a bargain price of $300 Australian, so look around for a good price if you do decide to get one.

For the drum sounds I use samples I find and chop up, sample cds, downloaded samples etc.

FLStudio / Fruity Loops is a very powerful program if you use it to it's full potential so you may want to stick with it while considering other options like Reason and also a program called "Battery" which I have heard good things about.

peace

E

Equality 7-2521

I use reason 2.0 and its soundbanks

i usually start by putting a kicks and snairs down and then fll in the rimshots n stuff

Fila

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Thanks to everyone for yuour replies!

@Goldeneye...yea that sounds like a bargain & a half, I'll look around to see if I can get something for a close price. I've also got Reason, but I'm still reading on-line tutorials & trying to learn my way through it.

@Messanger...are we able to import our own sampled sounds into Reason or do we have to rely solely on the soundbank?

C

Copenhagen

Fila, Reason is actually quite easy, just play around with it...otherwise you best bet is reading the 206 page manual. Also, you can import .wav, .sf2 and akai formats into Reason, as well as the use included soundbanks and tons of refills out there for Reason.

Streetwize

Beat Architects !
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 49
use FL as your drum sequencer, its easy and with layering, compression and EQ, you can make just as good drums as any other drum sampler, or software

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
IT DEPENDS?
ARE U TRYIN 2 MAKE ATHENTIC SOUNDIN DRUMS OR JUST PATTERNS.
PROGRAMS LIKE FL ARE COO 4 PATTERNS BUT 2 MAKEM SOUND REAL
OR ATHENTIC LIKE YA TRAK U NEED A REAL DRUM MACHINE.
REAL DRUMS DONT HAVE THE SAME PERFECT VOLUME & SOUND EVERY
HIT, THATS WHY DRUM MACHINES DIFFER FROM FL.
THE MPC IS PERFECT BUT IF U AINT GOT THE $, JUST GET A SMALL BOSS,ALESIS,OR YAMAHA.
THIER AROUND $200-$400 AND HAVE PROTENTAIL 4 PRO SOUND IF U MASTER IT.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
TKNK,

I assume that you're referring to programming velocity into your sequences to give them a more 'dynamic' feel...can't you do that in FL? Or is there something else that drum machines have in them that FL doesn't?

Take care,

Nick

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
FruityLoops is good very good for making drum sounds and it's very flexible and as far as making real sounding drums you CAN do it, there are many ways just be creative. You could pay a live drummer to allow you to record him or her playing for about an hour and then you got mad sounds in which you can create into dozens of drum loops and pop it right into fruity. You can also play around with the effects in Fruityloops to get the velocity changes in the drums to sound like its a real drummer. I would encourage peeps to check out the Roland MC-909 Groovebox I surpasses the MPC 2000XL and even gets up with the MPC 4000. But with all the software available unless you have the money to spend or just don't like messing with computers, then I would get either Fruity, Reason, or Project5 in that order. Along with some good vst, dx instruments.

members online