how do you fatten up your sounds??

P

planetmars

can anyone pls help me how do i fatten up my sounds...especially the drum tracks??

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
i run them through compression tracks, but no golden rules as to settings. the higher ratio and lower threshhold + output gain, the more of a squeezed sound you get. sometimes i like to do the "ny compression" technique, which is layering the drum track with a compressed quiet version of itself. using fx send channels is helpful here, as you can still level and adjust settings of the compressed track.
psp vsts like saturator and vintage warmer can do the job 2.
i use delays and compression to fatten up samples.

P

planetmars

i run them through compression tracks, but no golden rules as to settings. the higher ratio and lower threshhold + output gain, the more of a squeezed sound you get. sometimes i like to do the "ny compression" technique, which is layering the drum track with a compressed quiet version of itself. using fx send channels is helpful here, as you can still level and adjust settings of the compressed track.
psp vsts like saturator and vintage warmer can do the job 2.
i use delays and compression to fatten up samples.

are those psp's free?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Naw dude u gotta pay for em, but I guarantee you can scavenge them off the net somewhere...

Like Mono said, Drum layering, and using compression is what I commonly utilize as well to fatten my drums....delays more on instruments.....

Having a quality Preamp to run everything through can make a world of a difference as well.....
*Something id love to get my hands on as well!

P

planetmars

Naw dude u gotta pay for em, but I guarantee you can scavenge them off the net somewhere...

Like Mono said, Drum layering, and using compression is what I commonly utilize as well to fatten my drums....delays more on instruments.....

Having a quality Preamp to run everything through can make a world of a difference as well.....
*Something id love to get my hands on as well!

but i think it would all be useless because i use a 2.1 genius computer speakers...right??

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^ duh, its all in the mix, the rest is a subtle masterchain. You need a proper set of nearfields, some reference speakers and a good D/A if work ITB, then only you develop a sense of monitoring in which you are able to fatten up your sound. Untill then...you have no clue what you're doing hehe

P

planetmars

ayt ayt.... u know any link that can help me with it? like an article or what..

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Thats what we are saying tho...

You need to put multiple sounds stacked ontop of one another together to make a thin sound, sound fat.

IE: you have an electronic type of snare that you like, but it's too thin sounding. So you go and then grab a clap and tune it down say 3 points, and you (at least my mp allows me to do this) put it on the same pad as the snare so they both sound off when you hit the pad. now it sounds thicker see?

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
I use basic compression pretty much all the time, ..used to layer 2/3 drum hits on top of each other, but I've acquired lots of phat kits/breaks over the years..so I don't really need to do this any more... if you start by selecting phat/heavy sounds then your job is def easier. Also, if you want to accentuate the low end in your main sample (if you're a samplist that is), you can always use paremetric EQ ...

nfx

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Layering sounds is a goto for me. Occasionally I'll use a harmonic saturator plug-in like Voxengo's LF-Punch. Some EQ can help also depending on what you need to phatten.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
sorry man, layering is the noob way out, half the time it aint done to well which ends up eating more headroom. I say if you cant get a normal snare ( incl. bottom snare if that sample is provided) to form some kind of beef then stay away from layering till you get it right.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
sorry man, layering is the noob way out, half the time it aint done to well which ends up eating more headroom. I say if you cant get a normal snare ( incl. bottom snare if that sample is provided) to form some kind of beef then stay away from layering till you get it right.

Wha-eva I do what I want.. (Jerry Springer style)

dbit

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I will layer sounds when it's called for, but I make sure to EQ those sounds, so if I find a snare with a good mid punch I'll lowpass the high end and high pass the low end. Take a crispy snare for the top and highpass out all the frequencies I don't need from that one, and maybe I get a nice one with some low mid pop, parametric eq out everything but the pop that I want. I'm still learning to though and it's an everyday process.

One thing I never understood about the NY compression technique is, when you're adding both signals together with the mix, how do you avoid phasing or flangeing? Usually there's a couple milliseconds difference between the signals, and even if its negligeable I still end up with either phasing or flangeing.

nfx

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Excellent point dbit, I think when the technique was originally invented, the gear used did not have any latency issues since it was hardware based.

I saw a tutorial on NY Compression (aka parallel compression) where the author noted that when done in a software model, some delay compensation might be required.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
depends on the daw and your routing.

with something like pt le/mp (or hd without delay comp on) or logic with it's flaky adc/pdc you have to be careful.

you can also do the motown version (purported to have been done before the ny version) which includes an eq, this technique can also be use as a vox exciter.

another option is a plugin that does upward compression i.e. voxengo soniformer, i think ozone, sonalksis dq1 and other some other dynamic processors. it's different than parallel comp and rare but very effective

T

TheMost

Thats what we are saying tho...

You need to put multiple sounds stacked ontop of one another together to make a thin sound, sound fat.

IE: you have an electronic type of snare that you like, but it's too thin sounding. So you go and then grab a clap and tune it down say 3 points, and you (at least my mp allows me to do this) put it on the same pad as the snare so they both sound off when you hit the pad. now it sounds thicker see?

i like this!!!

also reverb is great to make sounds huge. Give ambiance , warmth.

A lot of times alos what makes a beat/song fat is the settle things you cant hear or you would say in headphones or by paying close attention.

Put sounds under sounds tha arent noticible to the comon listener