How do you feel about Marley Marl having dudes bringing him 10thou of samples CHOPPED

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I just read the Scratch with Premo n Nas. I read the interview with Marley Marl where he says he got people bringing him samples ALREADY chopped, and like a 10 000 a month (some thing like this, or maybe he meant he's got 10 000 of em) and he pays them every month.

I know i know i know, he did it big back in the days, that he was a pionneer and all. But, I think there's really no point at doing beats now for him. Cuz searching for samples gotta be the MOST annoyinnng and exhausting and lonnng thing to do when you make beats. So he doesn't have to do that AND they are already chopped, that amaze me. Think about it, someone brings you GOOD samples already chopped, and they probably bring you drum loops too. So what's the point of making beats? Anybody that knows how to work a computer or anything with no talent could make good beats.

To me, it's like a chef of a Restaurant, and all the vegetables are already cut and boiled, all the food is baked and all the meat are already seasoned. So all he does, is put the vegetable + the baked food + the meats in a dish, and all he really does is put it nicely so it is well presented to the clients.

I mean, if he was doing this as an hobby, i'd say OK, but he was talking like : yo, ain't got time for that, gotta make money bglalbal. Anyway what ya think?

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
nasty isnt it ? food for thought;
rembrandt did not paint any of his fat chics himself, he just came up with suggestions and some outlines, students were doing the donkeywork. common practice upstairs.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I respect Marley Marl to the Fullest but he blast my man Dre and the Narcotics for the remix he did for Rocafella of Teairra Marie that featured Marley Marls Check out my melody sample that remix also featured Jay and Kanye it, the article was in Scratch Mag a few months ago, (I dont read scratch but I read that small extract only because Dre is one of my partners that I been working with) but negative press is better than none I guess..I guess if you in the sample of the month club you can't miss tho....but what he is doing is keeping up with most of the cats that produce today.

I have to make the points below though in Defense of Marley Marl
I guarantee 90% of cats that call themselves producers nowadays...

1. do not dig
2. snatch mp3's
3. are too lazy to search for songs that are not on ***** or some other mp3 share
4. Do not own 1 record
5. use archive lists of records other producers have used in their songs, then go find the same samples

I mean Marley Marl aint stupid he has got to know this....to compete digging has gone hi tech and in the time you out in the record store or cue'ng up samples on your technics there are much easier ways to find sample sources to make hot songs, hell they sell breaks pre chopped and also vinyl comps what more could one need.....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
i spose its just like giving him his instruments.

if you gave me the famous Reminisce horns, i couldnt have made the beat anythin like as hot as Pete Rock did. ya get me.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Ya i know Timbo does the same...get cats from over seas to send him them ethnic samples and shyt....but kinda like what Rhyth said if someone gave me the sample he used for Big Pimpin I dont know if i would of made it as hot

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i read it and personally i think its homo, i can MAYBE understand someone giving him a record or something, but CHOPPING for him too, thats like not even him making the beat, when ur sampling, theres like 4 main parts in my opinion, thats the diggin, the choppin, the arranging, and any composure u do over it, and choppin is definetly one of the defining factors of a beat in my opinion. sure the guy is a million times better at making beats than me, but half of it isnt even him. whatever

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
man, say what you want about marley marl. i don't care, dude's a legend!

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Qwerty said:
How do you feel about Marley Marl having dudes bringing him 10thou of samples CHOPPED

now that's gangsta :D

speaking of Marley Marl, does he have any recent production to peep? i haven't heard anything lately and I'm wondering what is he doing with all these chopped samples :p

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Qwerty said:
I just read the Scratch with Premo n Nas. I read the interview with Marley Marl where he says he got people bringing him samples ALREADY chopped, and like a 10 000 a month (some thing like this, or maybe he meant he's got 10 000 of em) and he pays them every month.

I know i know i know, he did it big back in the days, that he was a pionneer and all. But, I think there's really no point at doing beats now for him. Cuz searching for samples gotta be the MOST annoyinnng and exhausting and lonnng thing to do when you make beats. So he doesn't have to do that AND they are already chopped, that amaze me. Think about it, someone brings you GOOD samples already chopped, and they probably bring you drum loops too. So what's the point of making beats? Anybody that knows how to work a computer or anything with no talent could make good beats.

To me, it's like a chef of a Restaurant, and all the vegetables are already cut and boiled, all the food is baked and all the meat are already seasoned. So all he does, is put the vegetable + the baked food + the meats in a dish, and all he really does is put it nicely so it is well presented to the clients.

I mean, if he was doing this as an hobby, i'd say OK, but he was talking like : yo, ain't got time for that, gotta make money bglalbal. Anyway what ya think?
thas fuckin ridiculous there is no point to doin beats if u do it like that...

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
im pretty sure i could make crazy dope beats if i had tons of dudes bringing me thousands of pre-chopped samples

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Qwerty said:
I gotta disagree here. I feel what you're sayin though.

(By the way: Don't most restaurants have others do the prep-work in the morning before the chefs come in anyway? That's what I always thought...)

Even if the food ingredients are prepped, the chef is still the one who knows when to put it in the pan, knows how to cook it to perfection, knows when to take it out, and puts the final dressing on it. That's the way I look at it. And if the customer doesn't like it or won't pay for it, then its the chef that takes the hit.

But on the flip side, every producer hears differently. For example, if I pay a cat to bring me some chopped/rex'd samples, who is to say he would have grabbed the same sample i did? I mean I would just feel like I should still do it myself, even if I could afford it, or even if i didn't have the time.

I could see him hiring someone to snatch the WHOLE SONG as a wav, but not just clips. They might not even get the best samples from the record.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
it goes back to the whole producer/beatmaker thing if thatsh ow he works thats fine thats just beinf a producer, in all other types of music ther producer will rarely actually play anything in the final piece a lot of good producers cant play any instrument at all but they have the ear to put things together in the right way, dre is a producer, and if thats how marley marl works then hes a producer if sum is finding records and chopping them for him hes not really a beatmaker but hes still a producer !

booya_nang

A breath of fre$h air!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 76
This is interesting...I can't see what's wrong with somebody givin him some records n shit but to actually chop it up aswell, to me that's a whole different ball game

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
But isnt this like buyin sounds from Gotchanoddin or kidnepro or somthin?
I mean he must know the guys and trust their ears right?
I cant see what you would do with a 10thou sound library..
I mean you wouldnt have time to make the trak for goin through the library tryin to find the sounds.
I have An ass of kits from some companies and I have yet to REALLY utilize my 2500 as a result.

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
it aint no different from buying loops from eastwest or from anything else.scott storch played the piano in "still d.r.e." i guess Dr. Dre didn't produce that song. damn we are a VERY opinionated and JUDGEMENTAL bunch these days.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
mp3 said:
Even if the food ingredients are prepped, the chef is still the one who knows when to put it in the pan, knows how to cook it to perfection, knows when to take it out, and puts the final dressing on it. That's the way I look at it. And if the customer doesn't like it or won't pay for it, then its the chef that takes the hit.

Nooo, i said it would be like everything is cooked, and he just make the arrangement in the plate

bluchippa5 said:
it aint no different from buying loops from eastwest or from anything else.scott storch played the piano in "still d.r.e." i guess Dr. Dre didn't produce that song. damn we are a VERY opinionated and JUDGEMENTAL bunch these days.

Yeah, i know, but it's the fact that they are already chopped that buggs me out

members online