How do you find songs to sample?

J

justadog

1. Do you know what special song you are searching for?
2. Do you get the whole albom and then listenning carefully to some good song to sample?
or maybe something else?

Please share a little bit of you'r methods' i think it will be helpfully not only to me :)
thx/

Nick Diamond

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Well, in basic, you need to listen a lot of music, and have a "ear" to catch something you "feel" that you can do something with it.

Another way is: if I know exactly what I need, ...what I'm looking for.
For an example. I need some east-ern sample,..I will search then songs like oriental dances, and such artists... and again, listen from track to track, till I find something what will kick in...

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
If i told you I'd have to Kill you ! lol but seriously I got a Decent Collection of 500 Records I got another Method also but I dont care 2 share

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
Listen. thats about it. if you heard from someone that a certain record got some good breaks then whats the point in sampling it? its probably been used before.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Just get alot of records, cause it's not too often that you find something really good. And don't focus on finding loops, try to focus on finding sounds.

MaZaMuNe

AKA Westnyle Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
Since i dont know how to use this whole record - computer thing, i do it the good old P2P way, fast, not so safe if your a noob.. heres how it goes

1. I usually know the genre base, i want to sample from, back when i was sampling i'd have in in my head, imma make a sick Soul Track, or i feel like a Funky Beat..
2. Open up the ******** Pro, search artist names, or sometimes even genre based..
3. Open that bitch ass mp3 up in cooledit and fuckin sample it to shit..
4. Tweak it in FL Studio for afew hours..

A

Authority

I do just like the ALCHEMIST does in this type of situation.........just pick out a record randomely and start from there.....

H&R

DJ Nice // Crack City
ill o.g.
It's called "Digging"

Go into a record store and blindly buy about 100 old records . . . go home pick a random one and start listening . . . Once you hear something you like sample it.

B

Burna

MaZaMuNe said:
Since i dont know how to use this whole record - computer thing, i do it the good old P2P way, fast, not so safe if your a noob.. heres how it goes

1. I usually know the genre base, i want to sample from, back when i was sampling i'd have in in my head, imma make a sick Soul Track, or i feel like a Funky Beat..
2. Open up the ******** Pro, search artist names, or sometimes even genre based..
3. Open that bitch ass mp3 up in cooledit and fuckin sample it to shit..
4. Tweak it in FL Studio for afew hours..

Shit! he found my method!! LOL!.

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man i used to do that mp3 shit on like bearshare or ******** or whatever, but then i got a turntable, and man, record digging is so much better, you don't have to try and find a fucking name and search for it, the beauty of record digging and findin samples is seein a record and ur like wtf is this, throw it on and find something dope, or you see a cover with some crazy ass art and ur like wtf is this, and same deal you know, for anyone that doesn't record dig, i suggest you start as soon as possible, save up for a turntable if u don't got one, and u can get records for dirt cheap, 99 cents an lp at goodwill here, tons of great shit

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
shit. i've done the mp3 way before.. in fact.. all the sampled beats i have so far are the mp3 way.

thats because i havent had a turntable till now....which is broken..

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i used to dig like crazy... there used to be this store at 34th st Penn Station in NYC that sold miscellaneous albums from 99 cents to $2.99... sometimes i would take 5-10 home and check them out. now, i sample from the radio, since i do alot of choppin and filtering. i look for the "off the wall" intros and and breaks... even if its just 2-3 seconds, if its the right sound, it can definately be used. i made a few beats from underground cds found at shows, so nothin is safe from my azz.

da relic