How do you make them thick sounds....

O

onetildawn

how do you make them thick sounds thick to the point before they become reall muddy and shitty sounding. I just want to know some tips.

E

Equality 7-2521

there is something called the low end theory. i think it involves layering drums. the second layer is done at a lower tune.

do a search for it though cos im not completely sure and havnt tried it yet......god im lazy

C

CooGi_dice

what do u mean by "thick".... these general terms are ok when u give a lil more detail, what sounds in particular do u have in mind since there are diffrent things that can be done with diffrent sounds.

well start with eq, then compression or its close cuzins, reverb, and various other out board gear filter things.

layering drums also helps..... take like 5 or 10 kicks and make them one ill one, same with snares and the like.

O

onetildawn

Yeah I guess I mean both Sound wise and sound tone <--- if that makes any sense. I want to know how crispy and punchy people can get it before it starts to sound crappy, do you know what I'm talking about? I guess I'm talking about compression in a sense, but also the over all tone of say like the Bass line, how do people ( The Pro's ) know how to bring it to the breaking point and then take it back just a bit so as to not make it sound like crap. you know what I'm trying to say?

C

CooGi_dice

as far as bass, EQ.
there are other tricks but it does depend on the situation as far as the other sounds in the mix and the original sound of the bass.

if u want punch on drums layer like i said u can also re-sample to get that "grimy" sound.

but its mostly about eq and stuff

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
the low end theory is for "thick" bass. take the bass kick and filter or eq it till its all bass. no high end at all. then layer it with the same kick without any filtering. it works for bass lines too. i do it with snares sometimes too. if i want some thud behind them.

H

Haterade

A lot of the time the preamp used in the recording phase can be the problem- especially with samplers. Record into your sampler with a tube pre (even a cheap one) and follow it with some eq.

For synth pads, a nice thickener is recording the sound, copying it twice, low-pass one, bandpass the other, and then layer them in your sequencing software. I do that and then play with the panning on them, just gives the pad a nice meatiness.

M

MIKELABZ

IF YOUR USING FL STUDIO AND YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR BASS OR MELODY SOUND GUTTER THEN USE THE FRUITY FILTER AND SET IT TO THE PRESET 'PARTY NEXT DOOR'.... IT GIVES IT A MUFFLED, RICH SOUND.... THEN USE THE FRUITY FREE FILTER AND USE THE PRESET 'NOISE REMOVER' TO GET RID OF ANY DISTORTION.

members online