How does MF DOOM do his basslines?

dustface.wav

Beatmaker
Any ideas? I know he uses an Mpc 2000xl and samples from vinyl... but I was just listening to special herbs and spices and the bass is so crisp and had that super real sound like is that doesn’t waver from song to song.... does he just take like one note and map it out across the pads!?!? Thoughts theories?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Any ideas? I know he uses an Mpc 2000xl and samples from vinyl... but I was just listening to special herbs and spices and the bass is so crisp and had that super real sound like is that doesn’t waver from song to song.... does he just take like one note and map it out across the pads!?!? Thoughts theories?
Yeah some of those guys have skills like that. Like Godfather Don, he's always got great melodies and horns, but I think he plays instruments too. So with DOOM it could be he plays or gets someone to play the bass.

Which tracks specifically though? Maybe he's just copying the main melody and adding a low pass filter.

dustface.wav

Beatmaker
Those are all just basslines from the original samples. Doom mostly just takes loops wholesale anyway. I think I've heard a few where he adds a typical fretless bass into the equation, don't remember which.

thank you....that's what I kinda thought wasn't exactly sure though

members online