How Does The Mixing Process Effect The Outcome Of A Beat?

QuietComposer

QuietComposer
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Mixing is the very important, it simplifies your track and it provides your track with explosive diversity. When I do my mixing, I make sure that I have the right sound quality. I also listen to what is playing in the background of the track making sure it is the right pitch, velocity, equalization, and instrumentation.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
It is NOT ideal for the composer to do there own mix. Once you have created the music, you are no longer objective. You NEED fresh ears. Now sometimes there is no budget, and you have to do everything yourself. But it is NOT the best way.

and yes, it can make a HUGE difference in the beat.

Read this book for more on this topic.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Art-Mixing-Mixerman/dp/1423491505/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322489750&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Zen and the Art of Mixing (9781423491507): Mixerman: Books[/ame]

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Im gonna check that out, I've been reading this one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Audio-Concepts-Practices-Tools/dp/0240520688/ref=pd_sim_b_6"]Amazon.com: Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools (9780240520681): Roey Izhaki: Books[/ame] ...which is good also.

Edit: I just dropped the PDF in your dropbox.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
How Does The Mixing Process Effect The Outcome Of A Beat? A beat....A beat....A beat...don't miss that word BEAT.

I'm pretty damn sure that book and most like them (which I have read or skimmed through many) refer to mixing a....wait for it.....wait for itttttttttttttttttttt

SONGGGGGGGGG a.k.a A RECORD

....not a BEAT Why? BECAUSE BEATS ARE NOT RECORDS!

Just get the BEAT sounding clear and have things at the right level. Going bananas mixing a BEAT is a waste of time especially if you're trying to sell or place it on someones album. 10 times out of 10 if it's for a serious artist that can and will sell records YOUR BEAT MIX will get trashed. They'll most likely only want the stems so they can get a REAL engineer to mix the....wait for itttttttttttttt....SONG. How the hell are they going to get VOCALS to sit right in an already MIXED BEAT? A hundred percent of what's in these mixing and mastering BOOKS refer to mixing a COMPLETE song or album

Only low budget rap dudes would even attempt to put out a record where they used a 2 track of the beat.

This thread was born out of the annual Beat Battle by the way.....u can read why there!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
This is a dumb ass discussion whether it be a beat, song, loop, record or soundbite, no mixing = no delivery.

What shall we talk about on this forum ? Lets just answer every tech topic here with "dont bother, buy some engi time...".

Regarding the beatbattle, no one is getting their tracks mixed for the beat battle. So if your mix isnt bringing that delivery and the track is driven by a good sample, you stil fail to make the best out of it. I'd give credit on samplism but delivery should get priority when judging, unless your name is mf doom. That's the only time you get away with a shitty mix, thats when the mc's killing it...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Regarding the beatbattle, no one is getting their tracks mixed for the beat battle. So if your mix isnt bringing that delivery and the track is driven by a good sample, you stil fail to make the best out of it. I'd give credit on samplism but delivery should get priority when judging, unless your name is mf doom. That's the only time you get away with a shitty mix, thats when the mc's killing it...

I can agree with some of what you said. Going all out MIXING a BEAT makes no sense UNLESS, you don't have a budget to get a good engineer and you're doing everything yourself as best you can. Failing to go all out mixing your BEAT does not mean that you won't place or sell it! Some buyers of BEATS like to hear the POTENTIAL of the track with there engineer putting in the work. They like the idea of getting a beat that's a "diamond" in the rough.

I personally like to put my best foot forward when making a beat available for the "internet" world to listen. I don't hold it against anyone that doesn't though. Everybody does SOME mixing on there beats anyway....may not be what me or you would do but they do put a mix on the beat.

As far as the Beat Battle..it doesn't matter....whether u like the winning beats MIX or not he won with what he had by 75% of the vote. Obviously 9 listeners still heard the DOPENESS of the beat. I know I did...

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
A mix will make or break a beat... You can have the most simplistic beat and it will sound like gold if you have a good mix..

Take a beat you've mixed or had mixed turn off the all the tweaks and settings you've done... notice a difference?

Beat Dilla

Mixing makes or breaks a track. Pending on the mix it can also determine the genre. A real dirty thick mix of a song can make it more of an indie-grunge type. But a clear, smooth, clean mix can make it more pop radio friendly

D

deeezbeats

Think of Mixing beats like cooking food. The instruments are the food and the plugins are the spices. This should be self-explanatory from here.

members online