how many inst. ?

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have 3 questions.

Samplers:
1)How many records do you use to make one beat?

There was a time ( my rjd2 phase) when I used to used to use a whole bunch of samples on one beat. Now I mostly use one song to make one beat. I just grab a bunch of loops from diff parts in the song, mess with them, then maybey add some vsts.

I just wanted to find out how many records/samples you guys, and girls use.

Keyboardists:
2)how many instruments do you guys use?

When I make sample free beats I usually look at a record I like to see how many instruments they used on each track. then i recreate that same setup in reason. it takes a long time time to make a decent track though.

How do you get you sample free beats to sound sampled?

I usually render them as wave files ( without the drums) and I make 2 or three tracks with them in acid pro. I also use filters quite heavily to get the sound I want.

thats it, it would be cool if class awnsered the how many instruments q cause some of the beats I have heard from him have that sound I'm looking for . Peace

ill o.g.
mr mello said:
...There was a time ( my rjd2 phase) when I used to used to use a whole bunch of samples on one beat. Now I mostly use one song to make one beat...

Thats what i did, i started out usin like 10 different records now im down to 2-4. Sometimes i just use one. I wish i could go back to when i used 10 different records, but im to much like i cant sit through that many records to get somethin started. I just wanna find a couple dope shits and make somethin before i lose my inspiration. Ive been tryin to get back into usin more though.

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i generally dont like using more than one instrument atleast from one record....so i guess quite a few records, or sources for a single track.....usuallly my drums are from all over the place....my basslines are probably more likely to be written/synthesized....but id prefer to think i can make my beats complex enough to have many different samples and sources running

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think its counter productive to force ur self to use as many different sources as possible on a track ur focus should be on making shit sound good.

bare in mind alot of dope producers when u analyse they beats shit is real simple but cos the sounds r so well placed and chosen shit just captures ur attention quick.

sometimes peeps use complexity as a diversion

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
I do the sample thang.

I usually use one song and find as many parts as i like then arrange them.

ill o.g.
Most of the tracks that make it on the radio, as far as sample free tracks. They only have like 6 different instruments, including the drums. Its all about what the track calls for. Simple is better. People just wanna dance or nod they head. They dont want a orchestra. I really dont sample that much, but I would say the same for that technique, simple is better.

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i guess thats the difference between what i want out of my production and what most people make really....id much rather listen to an orchestra than popular radio anyday of the week......and id much rather listen to amon tobin or bonobo than someone like the neptunes anyday of the week....simplicity can definitely work, but depth makes something worth listening to repeatedly

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
1) I use anywhere from 3-6 records per beat

2) I use bass guitar, congas, bongos, tambourines, egg shakers, mpc, ethnic percussion, all kinds of shit in my lab

3) To make live instrumentation sound sampled? Chop it up

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
i dont understand why would you want to make something you've composed sound sampled? what is the benefit of this?

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
A B said:
i dont understand why would you want to make something you've composed sound sampled? what is the benefit of this?

just a Vibe man, Keeps heads wondering where you got the sample that really aint even a Sample

there are a Number of reason's why, Same reason why some Samplers Like to cut up samples rearrange them and make them sound composed