How many of you have seen Success?

• beat this! voting starts in...
R

rah.soul

Whatup ya'll....

Even though there are alot of beginners on this board, I'm curious as if any of you have had any amounts of success industry wise? Whether being noticed by big dogs or getting your tapes out to important people or appearing on some released etc...

I' don't wanna blow any prospective shit out, but interested..

holla

-rah

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I think it's some cats here doing big things on different levels. Maybe not Dre or Em status , but heading in that direction.

I feel good about the my fellow illmusicians. Everybody here is achieving success at their own level. And we are very interested in hearing what you bring to the table, Rah. Welcome to ILLMUzIK

R

rah.soul

True, seems that way.

I was asking people specifically tho, you done any movement on upper levels?

A

ACEBEATZ

The industry is big and hard. More we go more's there mc's out there and beatmakers. Competition is hard!! But in a sense it pushes all of us to be more and more creative and original. Ironically, the industry standardise and label our art to get that commercial sound.

There's few artist who seen success without work. It's been 5 years i'm in rap and I invested approximately 40 000$ in all in rap. I realised 10 shows and evenings, produced more than an hundred beat for groups/artists, recorded approximately 50 songs, produced about 20 jingles for our local hip-hop radio, produced 2 complete albums and third begin after christmas, 2 videos and 3 websites (and my new one's comin). I counsell alot of poeple around me, book artists for promoter i know, and so on. And i just begin to be known in the 2 last years (since i got out products for sure but..)!!!!

It takes a lot of work to succeed. We will all in a way or another, find our path.

The more you'll give into something, the more it'll give you back!!

S

Szeven

Yo this is a daily grind. How do you define success that's the question, it's based on the individual. Me personally, I'm just getting exposure after 10 years in the game, I got to work with Rass Kass, got the most spins on an independent release in NC, now I'm working on the Jooks movie soundtrack www.jooksthemovie.com, but yo I'm still not paid, known or famous, but I'm happy and damn hungry. my partner 9th Wonder who I went to school with making it now financially, exposure, and Spins. He was at his place where GOD placed him for now, and me in mine. We all got a gift so success is like beauty man, "It's in the eye of the beholder"

R

rah.soul

I'm saying, succsess on your own levels.

Myself, I'm making moves to be on the new green lantern and big mike mixtapes, our beat cd's have been in the hands of the a&rs at Alchemist Records as well as G Rap and Reakwon, and Jadakiss heard my remix of why, among other things. I've gotten props from alot of people i consider my influences so thats REAL sucsess in my book..

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
success lives a couple of blocks away... i see him nearly everyday...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
rah.soul said:
I'm saying, succsess on your own levels.

Myself, I'm making moves to be on the new green lantern and big mike mixtapes, our beat cd's have been in the hands of the a&rs at Alchemist Records as well as G Rap and Reakwon, and Jadakiss heard my remix of why, among other things. I've gotten props from alot of people i consider my influences so thats REAL sucsess in my book..

nice, sounds like you got some good things happening.

ummm..... i passed a beat cd off to techn9ne... thats about it, but i am only now getting comfortable enough to start putting my music "out there". i'd say my biggest "success" thus far is the responses i have been getting from the various people i have shown my EP tracks to, so i guess that lets me know i am headed in the right direction. my feet will hit the pavement come new years, so we'll see what the industry thinks of this project.

personally, i am just happy to be in a place where i am confidant enough in my work to start shopping myself.

R

rah.soul

word, confidence is absolutly key. Knowing in yourself that what your doing is dope and is the right thing will come out in your music and in the way you present yourself to industry people.

KIRK T

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
"The industry is big and hard. "

I gotta disagree. The industry is very very small.
You meet one person.. They know someone you know.. etc etc.. Flex them networks.

Big ups on your grind Rah.. I've made good cheese recording exclusives for green lantern tapes (Tah Mahal, The Senate, the Taliban/Dipset) & some shit on Clue (Fabolous sport, Jewelz Santana, Unkassa).. & a few other Djs..

Its a small world..

And funny you should mention Big Mike, He just hosted my man joell ortiz's mixtape,
(I'm assistant A&R on his new project.. The Total Package, Just turned down deal with Arista.)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...40&e=1&u=/prweb/20041020/bs_prweb/prweb169967

--

B.Hawk

THE PRIVATE
ill o.g.
Yo Kirk where can i submit a CD? I'll mail one or email some joints to you just lemme know

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea to everyone doing things seriously, keep it up man. people will be surprised how fast shit can happen. myself personally, im not where i wanna be yet, but all it takes is one contact or one show and shit starts rolling.

just for example, the other day im standing at an atm getting out some cash and this guy hands me a hip hop flyer and asks me if im in to hip hop. i tell him i emcee and produce. he says they are lookin for other emcees in the show. he comes by. he listens. he likes. two days later im rockin a show and meeting more and more djs and emcees.

even if your workin on a small level, i think success is defined by what your goals are.
i just printed my lp and sold my first copies off the other day, for me thats my latest success and a big step in the direction i wanna go.

make moves my peoples, good luck

R

rah.soul

No doubt.... kirk we should get up sometime man...

bigD, i'm not anywhere really close to detriot, about three hours away.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
well, I'm workin on a solo effort that my man will personally deliver to El-P at def Jux, so I'll see whats up wit that,,,and my man who works in NYC said that he passed a CD of mine around work and one of the dude's that work for him friend is on DJ Clue's street team. He said that if I come up with somethin wit just me(not Grimm(?)) that he would drop it off to Clue. So, its out there,,,its just a matter of when, and how well ya come correct. Just gotta stay on the grind....

R

rah.soul

El-p at def jux huh.

Too bad Def Jux lost there buzz to PsychoLogical... they were fucking massive buzz wise last year.
Sounds good tho..

I'm real cool with a guy who's signed to Def Jux, Despot, so if that El-p thing doesn tgo though, despot is really tight with el-p so i can see what i can do..

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
rah.soul said:
El-p at def jux huh.

Too bad Def Jux lost there buzz to PsychoLogical... they were fucking massive buzz wise last year.
Sounds good tho..

I'm real cool with a guy who's signed to Def Jux, Despot, so if that El-p thing doesn tgo though, despot is really tight with el-p so i can see what i can do..

word? Thats tight man. Yeah, I heard of Despot. thanks man. Good looks.

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
man my success is just starting to happen like the summer that just passed, met up with this one dude and he has a lot of contacts and we starting to get out there, did just one show but that was enuff for me and my boys, and just today, its so ironic that i found this thread, our song was on a local station, and funny thing is that they played it twice in like two hours cuz some peeps, don't kno who they were, called and requested thats song again, man I was geeked, so we are now getting a lil exposure

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thats tight sacred, mad props man, nothing better than when people are feeling yout ish...

Frictionbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 51
Im gettin in somehow....LOL

I just hooked up a 4 song deal with these cats called the NB RIDAZ www.nbridaz.com
They hooked me up with all kinds of cats. LIL ROB, BABY BASH, BIG GEM. to name a few.
so now im gettin phone calls and e-mails for beat submissions.

This rap revovles around the whole Chicano/latin rap thing. which is really not my thing, but they doing it, and there in the game, and my music has no color. so if they like it im sellin. plus a percentage of the Publishing....its all good!!

it goes to show...its not what you know, its who you know!

Peace out!

-Fric