How many tracks?

I have changed my workflow a bit in the last year. I am still a huge Reason user but I wanted to change my thinking so now I use Reason, Live, Maschine as my creative playgorund and then I mix everything in Logic. I checked a few mixes from the next Drunk Pedestrians record and with vocals and everything they end up about 30-40 tracks. So I am certainly more minimal then the average top 40 guy. I also have and MPC one, a digitack, an Minilogue and a modular rig for inspiration. I actually just bought a huge house and am putting a full studio in the basement with proper acoustic design and everything pretty exciting stuff. As far as the touring band yeaaa everything got shut down for Covid, our next even tentative date is in oct so thats kinda a bummer as that's a real money maker but its been a nice change of pace, as we play four one hour sets and like 50+ songs so shows are a blast but pretty grueling. All my other touring friends are in the same boat so its going to be an interesting time for live music for sure.
Ive seen so many performances from home now, maybe that could be an option, I dont know how you could get it to work, but others have been doing that sort of thing, lockdown will be over soon anyway, I hope.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Ive been looking for a video I saw recently but I cant find it, of a session recording the bbc orchestra, their mixing room had loads of channels, loads and loads. Makes that analogue desk look tiny in comparison, I think if you added two more of those maybe even three, then it would be close
Well, my opinion is there's a lot of marketing in all this.
Like the big consoles make some famous band book sessions in that studio, but in the end they use about half the gear there. So the huge ass consoles have an attractive power, mostly... And i think even the best studios in the world don't have more than 80/96 channels consoles. Think Ocean Way, Abbey Road, Blackbird...
They could have one custom built if needed but they don't. They have enough attractive power as it is.
Spitfire they are overkill about pretty much everything... BBC SO being a good example. Even Hans Zimmer said the Zimmer library by spitfire audio was overkill. But, hey if you want to sell it you need to put more effort into it than did the competition. So it's again marketing.
And I give very little credit to all these engineers that get paid by plugins developpers to tell me how they absolutely need this and that to make decent records. If they reallh do, then they're not as good as they try to make me believe they are.

And Warren Felder probably uses hundreds of track but from the video, we can see it's duplicates of tracks. That I believe... But he's just too lazy to bounce it as it goes. Because he can. But if he had to, he'd bounce it. No difference in the final result whatsoever...

Well that's a pedantic post of mine.

Well, my opinion is there's a lot of marketing in all this.
Like the big consoles make some famous band book sessions in that studio, but in the end they use about half the gear there. So the huge ass consoles have an attractive power, mostly... And i think even the best studios in the world don't have more than 80/96 channels consoles. Think Ocean Way, Abbey Road, Blackbird...
They could have one custom built if needed but they don't. They have enough attractive power as it is.
Spitfire they are overkill about pretty much everything... BBC SO being a good example. Even Hans Zimmer said the Zimmer library by spitfire audio was overkill. But, hey if you want to sell it you need to put more effort into it than did the competition. So it's again marketing.
And I give very little credit to all these engineers that get paid by plugins developpers to tell me how they absolutely need this and that to make decent records. If they reallh do, then they're not as good as they try to make me believe they are.

And Warren Felder probably uses hundreds of track but from the video, we can see it's duplicates of tracks. That I believe... But he's just too lazy to bounce it as it goes. Because he can. But if he had to, he'd bounce it. No difference in the final result whatsoever...

Well that's a pedantic post of mine.
pedantic or not I agree completely, half the reason for us refurbishing the studio is because the look attracts the customer as well as the sound. If a studio looks good then they will be more willing to spend their money there, and if it sounds good, they are more willing to come back again

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Because I do a lot with samples, I've done as few as 4 tracks but I'll typically max out at 16. I approach it from an old-head perspective where 16-24 tracks was all you had to work with. 2-3 ADAT machines and a 16-24 channel 8 bus console. My default setups in FL Studio, Cubase, and Sonar reflect that as well.

members online