How many tracks?

That would drive me mad. What's the biggest console anyway? Has it ever gone past 96?
I have no idea, but on some of the newer digital consoles, I would assume they go far higher than that

im not sure if digital consoles can assign multiple tracks to one fader and you can switch between them to mix each one seperately. With consoles you are limited by the physical size of the room hahahaha

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
lmfao, then just jump on the console and surprise the fuck out of everyone
Yeah! Or if you apply go "yeah I'm 2good, you might know me from the internet".

But seriously, I can't even imagine their hiring criteria. Most are probably laughed out the building.

Yeah! Or if you apply go "yeah I'm 2good, you might know me from the internet".

But seriously, I can't even imagine their hiring criteria. Most are probably laughed out the building.
Definitely, years ago when I was inquiring about getting music onto libraries for film and tv, most straight up told me that without the degree I didnt stand a chance, and if I had the money for a degree id do it, but I really dont

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
168917d1271750722-how-many-still-using-mixing-consoles-gearslutz.jpg

There is a 128 channel analog for you.

I have seen digital setups get in to the 200's

Here is a video of a top 40 producer talking about how he has 177 tracks total in Logic

I know you guys think I am crazy but I am telling you that at the top 40 getting over a hundred tracks for hip hop is completely common.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's a nice console!

Yeah I can see people using tons of tracks but my point is it's definitely not needed, just as it wasn't like that ages ago. I know we're in a new era but I still think all that is overkill, especially for Hip Hop. Maybe this is why everything is so damn loud and in your face, because they're throwing everything AND the kitchen sink into the mix. Not just the tracks but all the effects for those tracks, my computer would implode then explode then shit itself.

168917d1271750722-how-many-still-using-mixing-consoles-gearslutz.jpg

There is a 128 channel analog for you.

I have seen digital setups get in to the 200's

Here is a video of a top 40 producer talking about how he has 177 tracks total in Logic

I know you guys think I am crazy but I am telling you that at the top 40 getting over a hundred tracks for hip hop is completely common.

I dont think you are crazy, they wouldnt give us all those channels if people never used them all. And Ive seen some very complicated songs with many many tracks all doing the same thing, with different instruments. Where you could have 6 or 7 even more tracks all doing the same thing and adding their own little subtle colour to what sounds like one instrument, but is many many layers.

Ive been looking for a video I saw recently but I cant find it, of a session recording the bbc orchestra, their mixing room had loads of channels, loads and loads. Makes that analogue desk look tiny in comparison, I think if you added two more of those maybe even three, then it would be close

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ive been looking for a video I saw recently but I cant find it, of a session recording the bbc orchestra, their mixing room had loads of channels, loads and loads. Makes that analogue desk look tiny in comparison, I think if you added two more of those maybe even three, then it would be close
Yeah but like you mentioned, the room size! Astronomical.

You gotta find that video.
man, ive watched so many videos since, im not sure Ill find it, especially now spitfire has released the bbc symphony orchestra vst

For some reason Im thinking it was done at maida vale studios, and if I remember right it was studio 3

Last edited:

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
That's a nice console!

Yeah I can see people using tons of tracks but my point is it's definitely not needed, just as it wasn't like that ages ago. I know we're in a new era but I still think all that is overkill, especially for Hip Hop. Maybe this is why everything is so damn loud and in your face, because they're throwing everything AND the kitchen sink into the mix. Not just the tracks but all the effects for those tracks, my computer would implode then explode then shit itself.
Oh totally , that’s a different discussion all together. Is modern pop music fatiguing to listen to? Most of it sure is.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
I have changed my workflow a bit in the last year. I am still a huge Reason user but I wanted to change my thinking so now I use Reason, Live, Maschine as my creative playgorund and then I mix everything in Logic. I checked a few mixes from the next Drunk Pedestrians record and with vocals and everything they end up about 30-40 tracks. So I am certainly more minimal then the average top 40 guy. I also have and MPC one, a digitack, an Minilogue and a modular rig for inspiration. I actually just bought a huge house and am putting a full studio in the basement with proper acoustic design and everything pretty exciting stuff. As far as the touring band yeaaa everything got shut down for Covid, our next even tentative date is in oct so thats kinda a bummer as that's a real money maker but its been a nice change of pace, as we play four one hour sets and like 50+ songs so shows are a blast but pretty grueling. All my other touring friends are in the same boat so its going to be an interesting time for live music for sure.

members online