T Racks 3: Free
Mac Book Pro 2.8gHz 6mb Ram: 2899.00
Turn Table: Hand me Down
MPK 49: 289.00
MPD 32: 208.00
M Audio Key Rig 49 : 89.00
Studiophile AV 40: 99.99
Total: 4232.99

Free = Have a few DJ friends that are "Sponsored" so I get the hook up.

I still need a mixer any suggestions?

G

Griffin Avid

I think the OP needs to fix the scale now.
4,000 aint a whole lot for the top end.

A Fantom-G/Motif XS is 3 thou already.
The cost of a powerful DAW...speakers....
Most modern synths snap your budget in half.

G

Griffin Avid

I remember during the hardware verse software wars, I once mentioned how the ONLY dudes that posted in those threads were hardware cats.

Recently, I've seen whole "Show your Studio" threads only populated by a DAW and MIDI controller. And the screen shot [and what's running on it] is what everyone is asking about.

That's some change in recent years.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Just that people can get to the end product a lot cheaper and achieve an end product with extreme portability (laptop & oxygen8 for example). Shit..I can take my laptop, controller and usb turntable anywhere I want and make beats......can't truck a motif/fantom/korg around that easily.

G

Griffin Avid

cats are making beats on their iPhones now. On a side note, I consider a studio a place where you make songs/ records. A lap top and midi controller is more your beat making set up than a studio. Semantics aside, what's a studio that can't record?

Consider the audio interface a third thing to carry around and...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
cats are making beats on their iPhones now. On a side note, I consider a studio a place where you make songs/ records. A lap top and midi controller is more your beat making set up than a studio. Semantics aside, what's a studio that can't record?

Consider the audio interface a third thing to carry around and...

I tend to agree with you on this. The line is a little blurred between today's "beat makers" and a producer. And even if you say "well, I go to the BIG studio when it's time for that", you can't be very proficient at it. You at least (imho) have to have a mini BIG studio at the crib or something. A place where you can fine tune things so that when you go to the BIG studio you won't break the bank. I never take anything to the BIG studio unless it's 90% complete at my spot. The BIG studio is not the place to work things out....unless you got one hell of a hook up! (i.e you don't pay and even then what kind of Engineer works for nothing? Mine sure doesn't...)

subvertbeats

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
In the current mastering studio, probably around $30k in equipment and $15k in the room.

Over the years at various studios, probably around $80k to $100k

shortt knowtice

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Ummmmm this is kinda sad but
FL (internet) $0
Speakers $75
Headphones $40
Turntable to record vinyls $109

Not much but I've made it work!!

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
im prolly only at like 700ish, i copped my Axiom-61 from my boy cuz he needed the money (400$), hadda get a system 2 make str8 basslines that was only like 200., bought a new pc but im not gonna count that. Shure mic was like 90$, i had a little midi keyboard before the axiom but i broke that shit :\ not doin 2 bad lol...
Prolly got more $ worth of plugins/software than my "lab" lmao but i got all that shit 4 free

Olio Cad

ill o.g.
i don't wanna even start thinking about how much ive spent, it'll depress me. i've wasted a fair amount of money on shit i now realize is worthless.

no matter how much i buy, i still use the same programs and equipment i always have, almost exclusively.

A

ABB

Almost none... I admittedly steal most of the software and samples I use.

misch

ill o.g.
same boat, besides a couple of midi controllers and a pc next to nothing, if i can get around to buying the software i use then that would be some dough, at the point where i feel pretty guilty about it, but shit aint cheap. no excuse though.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I have a keyboard... it was a gift though... the cable was thirty, and my speakers were a couple hundred but that's it.

I've spent next to nothing as well....

My PC = Free

My keyboard = a gift...

My usb turntable - 80 dollars and sold it for $100.. Since I don't use vinyl, anymore.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
i don't wanna even start thinking about how much ive spent, it'll depress me. i've wasted a fair amount of money on shit i now realize is worthless.

no matter how much i buy, i still use the same programs and equipment i always have, almost exclusively.

I am with you, on that! I spent a shit load on equipment. Then I sold it, to pay bills because I was poor! And, even when I had all of that fly ass gear. A lot of my illest beats were made the way I originally started. With fruity loops and cool edit pro.......