How much of ur beats is keepers?

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
When I 1st got my sp I was making 4 or 5 beats in one sitting, nowadays although the quality (mix, placement, sound selection & overall) is better I find that I delete more stuff then I keep.

I would say that 90% of the time when I sit down to make a beat I come away with nothing worth keeping.

I’m interested to know how much of the stuff u make is ‘keeper’ level stuff plus any suggestions in improving my %tage.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
My first year of making beats I had loads of free time and I would wake up and make 4-5 beats for a whole fuckin year. I rarely sit down and listen to the entire catalog, but I will say that some beats are hot and I bop to those as if somebody else made them, and other times I feel that "I made THAT b.s" but most of the time, I critique and feel that the beat could use a tweak here and there and I'll put that on the Beats to do list and that's that.

When you are in the business of selling beats, you generally keep them all because what you don't like, some MC will Paypal you $500 for.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
honestly, everything that i actually spend time beyond the initial sketch of the beat is a keeper.

i just work with them til i am satisfied.

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
honestly, everything that i actually spend time beyond the initial sketch of the beat is a keeper.

i just work with them til i am satisfied.

That is what I do. Keep working until that thang reaches its peak.

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
When you are in the business of selling beats, you generally keep them all because what you don't like, some MC will Paypal you $500 for.[/QUOTE]

Right, never know what the MC will vibe to. Keep everything that sounds aight.

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
Jpeg,
I've thrown out about 80% of the beats I did, but that was a mistake. Like Cold Truth said, you can work on em till they turn out decent. Sometimes I come across wave files of my old beats I gave up on and I'm like "Damn!! I could've done something with that and made it FIRE!!" So now it's like my main goal is to finish a beat and flow with the process. Even if in the end you don't like the finished beat at least you have a product that perhaps some MC will vibe with like Eqelizer said.

I've got those days when it seems all I make is trash and I feel like I'm wack. Especially since I switched over from using samples to using all synths and guitar, which I'm a newbie at. But hey, that's how we learn right??? From getting knocked on our butts and getting back up time after time.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
lol, to be perfectly honest if its something i think will just be "decent" i dont put that much effort into it and move on. it has to have potential to be better then just "decent" for me...

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
hardboiled said:
Jpeg,
I've thrown out about 80% of the beats I did, but that was a mistake. Like Cold Truth said, you can work on em till they turn out decent. Sometimes I come across wave files of my old beats I gave up on and I'm like "Damn!! I could've done something with that and made it FIRE!!" So now it's like my main goal is to finish a beat and flow with the process. Even if in the end you don't like the finished beat at least you have a product that perhaps some MC will vibe with like Eqelizer said.

I've got those days when it seems all I make is trash and I feel like I'm wack. Especially since I switched over from using samples to using all synths and guitar, which I'm a newbie at. But hey, that's how we learn right??? From getting knocked on our butts and getting back up time after time.

Damn right. I know I had my days, where I was like damn, I am fucking up.

Bloodybastid

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hardboiled said:
Jpeg,

Too much tweaking can really fuck things up....I would just start over with the same samples and formula and make something a little different.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I tend to keep everything, just for reference and also because you can see how your songs are progressing - if you're developing a certain sound of your own maybe.

Man, I know when I make something whack - but I don't delete it...you learn from mistakes; you work out why you or someone else thought it was whack and learn from that.

ill o.g.
1 out of 3 or 1 out of 4 i keep usually. I start beats all the time, and work with em for a couple hours, take a break and come back and listen. And if it aint hot when i come back in the room i delete it.
I feel like if i work on a beat too long nonstop, i lose sense of how good its actually soundin. so i take a break to rest my ears.

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
Loose Cannon said:
1 out of 3 or 1 out of 4 i keep usually. I start beats all the time, and work with em for a couple hours, take a break and come back and listen. And if it aint hot when i come back in the room i delete it.
I feel like if i work on a beat too long nonstop, i lose sense of how good its actually soundin. so i take a break to rest my ears.

Good idea. So the beat can sound fresh to ya.....ima start doing that.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Lately I just been coming up with the drum pattern and saving that to one disk labeled
"Raw Drumlines" , and when I am stuck in a rut or the beat I'm working on just isn't coming together, I throw in the drumlines disk and I just create a new guitar riff around that drum pattern or add a new bassline. If I delete a snare here or change up something with the basic pattern, then it will sound totally different. I got beat templates ha ha!

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
about half of the beats i make end up on Soundclick... the others i will mostly keep but try and avoid listenin to them ever again...

sAfE.

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
I keep them all saved in my MPC. You never know when you may come back to it someday. I try to do it like 'Pac. He had all kinds of shit recorded; most of them we didn't even here until after his death. It's music you're doing...it might not be complete do you but you never know when you might get that blast of creativity to lock it down.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
for me on a good day everybeat on a bad day none is keepers...on a regular day 3-4 out of 5 beats are keepers