How much should I sell beats/How much do you guys sell beats for?

BlackSox

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
OK we are pretty new to the game. Not very much talk around us, yet. We have good beats and people who what to buy them but I dont know how much to ask (lease or full). I have heard A LOT not to ask too cheap, but I dont want to start out too high and never sell any. J/W what you guys think people would pay for our stuff or what you got starting out.

You should hear of course to see if I suck or not:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/blacksoxmusic.htm

I would sell some for cheaper than others I am guessing.

***ALSO: so i dont have to make a new thread:***

We use windows XP, acid, and a motif6. do we have everything needed to format a song correctly for sales? if not what do we need to buy?

thanks a lot,

Silas,
-TheBlackSox

aim-pretecsh if you want to talk (out of town fri. night til sunday, ill be on then)

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
check the the industry section out cause it has been brought up many times, but i would say if the artist u workin with is tight and he got skillz, i would say build a relationship with him or her. mabey give him a few free joints and stuff and get you name out there.

K

kwantize

u can sell your beats based on how long u worked on it and how much skills u got i dont like 2 sell my beats i rent them out so u still have the rights to it or u can tell the mc i can rent u a beat like u can use it 4 six mounts and if u dont get a deal im gona rent it out 2 some one elase the olny thing i can relly say is start off small make a name then then take it 2 the nent lavel . if u got skils u will allways have beats ..........

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
First off how long have you been producing???

sox's I think u have to be honest with yourself when u sell beats. U know witch ones u put work on and which ones u dident. How many beats are do u have in your catalogue,out of those how many are "really" tight.

I listened to some of your tracks and i think u have potienal but your definalty still developing and learning as producers and honestly i feel yall have a long way to go. (your tracks sound very basic and robotic) Instead of trying to sell tracks maybe u should really focus on bulding your catalogue and getting better.

as far a equiment goes its all realive some people have alot more and some have alot less.I think u should get a multitrack software program i.e cubase or protools, So u can track out your beats for the engneeirs. (i dont know if acid does that or not). Other than that you should be fine

HOnestly I realy think your rushing on selling beats espically if you new to the producing game. Really focus on improving your skills man. WHen you do that the businees will come

classs..

P.S i have only sold one beat and that was for $150 with a 3 beat minium purchasing package.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Well, I'm with Class... It really depends on the time invested on the beat... you can start pushing beats right now, but if you do work on your skills, you'll be happier when you hear someone spitting on your beats...

Well, I'll be honest. I did sell some beats, but the price depended on the person I sold them to and how I felt about the beat. If its a friend or a friend's friend or someone you want to associate with in the long run, giving beats (at 1st) is good.

If the person really likes the beat (like he's going crazy on it - "Oooooooh, you gotta hook me uuuuuuup" kinda thing), well... that definitely makes the price go up (for me... that's a sign that I can make more MONEYYYYYY) - Of course, that is, if you dont reall care for that person, that you see that he can manage (he HAS the money).

I sold 5 beats (I started doing so a couple of months ago) seperatly with prices ranging from 50 to 100$.

Beyond 100, it's getting expensive, for someone how is NOT ON A LABEL OF ANY KIND AND DOING THIS FOR PLEASURE.

To me (and that's my personnal opinion), with your skills right now, prices should range around 20$ to 100$ per beat. Making package deals is also a nice way to make more money too.

As for your second question, I think the mod wont mind if you do start a new thread, since it's two really different matters you are inquirering about.

BlackSox

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
ok thans for the info. there is a guy in the city that said he could help us with the mixing, etc. I was just wondering becase one guy said he was very interested in buying (locally) but I can wait, hell we are just getting into this game and we're taking our time. thanks for the info.

Silas
TheBlackSox

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
ive been making beats for 5 years...and they are really dope beats man...but i only spend about an houer or 2 on each beat...so i just make sure i get more (hourly) then i make at work...and it depends on if the mc is nice or lame, rich or poor...but ive never charged more thyan 100$, i dont think i would, unless this mc is big and hes gonna make thousands of copies and make lots of $$ on it...where your standing right now tho, they are prolly just gonna play it for homies, try to get shows or what not

BlackSox

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
do you have any songs I/ the site can hear so I can hear what a $100 and down beat sounds like? j/w

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:
First off how long have you been producing???

sox's I think u have to be honest with yourself when u sell beats. U know witch ones u put work on and which ones u dident. How many beats are do u have in your catalogue,out of those how many are "really" tight.

I listened to some of your tracks and i think u have potienal but your definalty still developing and learning as producers and honestly i feel yall have a long way to go. (your tracks sound very basic and robotic) Instead of trying to sell tracks maybe u should really focus on bulding your catalogue and getting better.

as far a equiment goes its all realive some people have alot more and some have alot less.I think u should get a multitrack software program i.e cubase or protools, So u can track out your beats for the engneeirs. (i dont know if acid does that or not). Other than that you should be fine

HOnestly I realy think your rushing on selling beats espically if you new to the producing game. Really focus on improving your skills man. WHen you do that the businees will come

classs..

P.S i have only sold one beat and that was for $150 with a 3 beat minium purchasing package.

yEAH RIGHT!!!TO WHO SESAME STREET!!

ChaseCashe

ill o.g.
Got 10 g's total for ghosting for someone in the industry...cant say who..all i got to say is........LEAN LOW...TO DA FLO!!!