How old, is too old?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
It can't be said any better than that! I'm gonna do this shhh for fun until my fingers don't work anymore and ya better hope they don't figure out a way of making beats without having to use fingers cause then i'll be good for a few more years...lol.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
makin beats dont get old... if ur a songwriter in any genre, ur gonna always do it... but producing music has no age.. u dont hafta be seen.. and alot of people wouldnt want that headache anyway.. Em hates and he's not the only one.. Kwame changed his name to K1 Mil and never looked back.. there's a way of goin about it.. never get discouraged.. im prolly the oldest on here, but im still doin what i do... peeps at shows are always askin me, "where u been?" and "yo. i need a verse from u".. so, fuck wat anybody says, do it bcuz u love it.. my beats are timeless imo, and i can still lay a verse down.. now the verse might not get me paid, but im pretty sure the beats will! and thats wat i love doin!

da relic

It can't be said any better than that! I'm gonna do this shhh for fun until my fingers don't work anymore and ya better hope they don't figure out a way of making beats without having to use fingers cause then i'll be good for a few more years...lol.

HipHop and ya don't stop!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Funny thing is, I don't really know why I luv hip hop like I do. I know what I luv about it, and thats one of the things that hip hop was built on...the simple fact that you could be yourself. Hip Hop had it's trends...sweat suit with shell toe adidas, big crazy gold chains, flat tops, gold fronts, Cazals, the hip hop limp...lmao! the list just goes on and on. It didn't matter though, you didn't have to have any of that and could still be hip hop. Eventhough it was cool when Sean John and high fashion became a big part of hip hop, it was still cool to sport a sweat shirt with a ironed crease down the middle of it and starched Lee jeans...hahahaha! All that shhh is gone now. But those were the days!

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yo.. i run into guys i useta run with back in the 80s and 90s all the time... and these cats are STILL writing rhymes! its embedded in ur DNA, i promise u... we all grew up on it.. makin beats and producing music is the same thing.

da relic

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's the same as someone like for example: The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Sting, etc. Nobody questions these guys when they still perform or even release new music, it's in their blood, it's part of their life. I guess the only difference is because Hip Hop was always something for a younger generation but when it comes to making beats, we're in the background so who cares if the person is 86 or 26? If it's dope, it's dope!

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
It doesn't matter how old you are, it matter how old you LOOK. In heavy metal, people are getting older and older. Consequently, nobody really gives a crap how you look in metal anyway. Hip hop is different.

The reason why it's hard for older cats to break into the music game is because of generational issues. Music is an area where the youth capitalize on their generational experience to put out a creative product that speaks out to their specific generation. IMO that's how cats initially get signed to a label. I remember a dude named Scatman John back in the day who was old as hell-- I think he was 45 or 50, but put out a top 10 song in the UK and Europe because it was in tune with the dance music of the 90's (rap/techno, video here:

He sold six million records. But he had to change his style from doing jazz scat in clubs, to doing scat over techno-- which appealed to the youth market at the time.

It's all about appealing to the youth generation first, at least for major artists.

But if you break it down, it really is about cultivating a fan base and gaining a following-- then marketing to that fanbase. That's all you really have to do. Now are you going to break into the industry at 50? Probably not unless you're a slept on genius. But it's possible to work extremely hard and gain a following, one that can pay to see your shows and pay for your music.

The music game's tough, age makes it even tougher.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Agreed....Will I Am is old as hell...and he just looks young.....

On another note.... That Scatman joint is dope. I recall flipping that record a long time ago.

i watched an interview with philip glass last night. he didnt get his break till he was 41.
perception of high frequency sound deteriorates with age but that isnt a really big deal.
like god said... build a fan base then sell to that fan base. if you are looking to get signed then you really need to work on getting fans first