how sampling transformed music

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This guy is so on point. I like what he said about how artists will take something they know and like and just build on it. That's so true. Just as Rock musicians in the past built upon what inspired them from earlier musicians.

But this is where it gets complicated when it comes to sampling. For musicians, they can sort of "borrow" a style or sound from someone else but they're playing a live instrument. When beatmakers take an actual recording and build upon it, all sorts of legal issues come into play.

Like what he was saying about how earlier sampling was about taking obscure sounds and piecing them together - that's the best part of sampling (and digging). Find something that sounds dope but is obscure too, and create with it. The problem, of course, is we started to get lazy and started sampling whole sections of music, or worse, just jacking the entire instrumental of a popular song and rapping over it. That's when the legality of it came into play.

I think it's great if someone can take a sample and create something unique with their own flavor. But we all know it's not that simple because with anything, there will always be those that abuse and take advantage.

KDVS

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 85
I feel "Rockers" have ruined a big deal when it comes to listening to new stuff. Say if they just stopped playing others stuff! Maybe something new would come a bit faster. We will off course come there. The Beatles i read got tired of covering other peoples songs when they found themselves on a "show" with other bands covering the exact same song they where playing just later on. Man this is fucked!! Just go home and play The Beatles if you like them on your LP/CD whatever, dont listen to someone out on a bar who say they are respecting them with covering them, eurgh!!!!!! Okay, so you can make a shitty song sound cool, great, or a great song wack. In Hip Hop we for some reason do not respect covering other Hip Hop artists. Snoop covers "Ladidadi" on Doggystyle, yeah, a lot others do also, but still its not really acceptable. I think its great, but we do love sampling, hmm....

My dad is a rocker, we had this discussion for years. Now he plays his own stuff out on shows. Not all the time, haha, but he do, and i think it is so important for people to get "pressed" to listen to new stuff. Next time they maybe will be able to be ready for something new again. I know I'm a bit naiv, but fuck man, lets stop with biting, lets listen when they said, lets be original, lets do this.

Dont Be A Copycat