How to get 'choppy' drums?!

• beat this! (may 1-2) signup begins in...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I hear some tracks, and the drums sound really 'choppy', almost as if they've been cut + pasted in. They feel sloppy, but good sloppy.

They almost sound like they don't fit, but in a way that works.

Also often these drums sound pretty loud/big/crisp/clean as if they are modern programmed samples and not old sampled breaks.

The problem is, I feel if I took a drum loop, either sampled or programmed, and chopped it, I'd end up making it fit the tempo so it would surely lose that sloppy feel.

Anyone know/make this style of drums and can give some good headsup or tutorial links?!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The first thing I'm thinking is the use of breaks but you're saying it's not that, so maybe it has something to do with the hats. It could be something like the last hat on the bar is missing.

Do you have some examples?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
The first thing I'm thinking is the use of breaks but you're saying it's not that, so maybe it has something to do with the hats. It could be something like the last hat on the bar is missing.

Do you have some examples?

I never have 'em when I need to share 'em! ha. I'll try find some when I come across 'em.

I think it is either breaks, or gives the sound of being chopped from breaks (tho clean modern samples). I just wonder how to keep it sounding choppy but in time. 'cause I imagine it's the play of things sounding slightly off beat or something.

Cause had some presliced drumkit, and when I played that it kinda had sound, but I'd probably end up tidying the timing up and losing that choppiness, but I imagine would have timing issues producing around it - i dunno.

DJ Wax-Turtle

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
I think you simply mean that "Dilla-Swing"?

Just place your hi-hats in the middle 1/3 step to the right in between the Counts, to get that sloppy sound. and the Kick in front of the Snare 1/3 step in front of it.

You also need to place the notes of your melody the same 1/3 step to the right in the middle, so it goes along with the swing.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I think you simply mean that "Dilla-Swing"?

Just place your hi-hats in the middle 1/3 step to the right in between the Counts, to get that sloppy sound. and the Kick in front of the Snare 1/3 step in front of it.

You also need to place the notes of your melody the same 1/3 step to the right in the middle, so it goes along with the swing.

Maybe you're right re dilla - someone i heard using it did have a mention about dilla in a review of their style.

You got any visual/video examples of this?! I kinda get what you're saying to do but kinda not... but it also sounds like it could be on the right path

Edit: just started youtubing some shit, looks like you hit the nail on the head - still, if you know any good links. Feel free to drop em.

I appreciate you for that knowledge!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Watch "Ableton Tutorial: What Is Septuplet Swing? (Neo Soul, Drunken Drummer, J Dilla, Wonky Groove)" on YouTube

giphy.gif

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
The latter two are some examples bro, glad to see you working on new techniques.
Thanks, brother! Always looking to grow and expand, especially on something that sounds dope af.

Kinda easier to get head round than I thought, but still a little tricky trying to jam/compose around it, and getting used to the rules and how to fit in with 'em and how to break 'em. But I'm on my 2nd beat using this techique tonight!

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
My first thought is to not time stretch your drum loop. If you tempo match and/or stretch your drum break/loop to your working tempo then it won't have that choppy feel.

The only other obvious thing I can think of is, a long collected/curated library of drum samples. For example, a kick pulled form a 120 bpm disco tune. OHH from a 85 bpm 80's power balled. A gated snare from a late 80's synth pop tune.

The sampling of these one-hits from different genres, mixes and tempos and treated AS one shots in your uniquely tempo'd hiphop beat would certainly add the the choppy feel.

Additionally, a variety of velocities, swing and pan can add to the feel.

members online