How to get rid of the "room" sound. Post your tips.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
for the vocalists headphone mix, set up some sends on the channel your recording and the channel with the beat and route those sends to whatever one of your outputs is feeding their headphones and adjust the blend between hearing himself and hearing the beat accordingly, but make sure you do it pre fader, MUST be prefader. This allows you to give the artist whatever sound he prefers when recording, be it with the beat blasting and barely hearing himself or the beat low and himself loud. Either way, it won't effect what is actually recorded so make sure you ride the gain to keep the signal recording as hot as possible without clipping. Keeps the artist happy without compromising the recording.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7

i actually made one of these a while ago. it works, but there are limitations. for instance, "teaching" people how to use it. most people have poor mic technique when standing in front of an "open" mic, let alone standing with their head in a box. the other problem i had was finding a place/way to hang or stand it up in an open space so that the artists could use it. but like i said, it does work. in my experience it worked best when i sat it on the desk in front of me and sat in front of it.

just my $.02

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hahaha..
I will see if I can dig up the blueprints of my house and scan that room or something, take some photos and post them up as well.

shit im lucky, i got it easy bruh, my whole spot like 400 square feet and one room, lol.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
hahaha..
I will see if I can dig up the blueprints of my house and scan that room or something, take some photos and post them up as well.

dont you have a measuring tape ? lol i'll let fibonacci have run at those dimensions :)

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
rule of thumb is... take your total square footage(not just on the ground, but from floor to celing as well, like the total area of your room... and 25% of this must be filled with treatment

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
There are a lot of things you can do (depending on the room itself) one thing that has always worked for me is gating the room

yup, works real well... tweak the release well enough and you can almost create a new room sound

rule of thumb is... take your total square footage(not just on the ground, but from floor to celing as well, like the total area of your room... and 25% of this must be filled with treatment

???
I thought treatment wasnt so much about how much you use, but more, which different types ie absorption, diffusion, bass traps and how well they are placed.
Filling a quarter of a room with sound treatment just sounds a bit like over kill to me.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^that, there's no rule that states that 25% should be filled with absorption.

Its common to have basstraps (chunks) but the size isnt determined before hand, it depends on the measured room modes and the materials used to make the traps (material type can decrease trap width).

Anyway, 2 good...stop kickin up ol threads lol

members online