How to get that db boost from your mix?!?!

orpheus

Cook Classics
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
Aright, Class just reminded me again that my mixes aren't loud enough. That shit's always been a problem. So in my MV8000 (any users out there) when you master your shit, there's the input and output db meters. I always keep it so that neither of them clip above 0db. But the output is ALWAYS lower than the input becuase of compression and shit I'm guessing. So what do you do to get your mix to the max output level without clipping the input? Does a clip on the input meter matter? Hit me up with a PM if you can and let me know. I want to fix this. Peace

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
you shouldnt give a damm how loud your music sounds only how good its mixed. leave the mastering for the master engineer and leave the mixing for the mixing engineer..

jus try 2 get the vision you want it 2 sound like accross the best you can. but dont kill yourself on the loudness you usually end up screwing the dynamic of the track and make it harder for the engineer 2 do his job if they wanna rip the 2 track of the beat..

jus make it sound as good as you can without touching the master fader

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
orpheus said:
I am the engineer and do the mixing. I don't know about you. But I can't afford to send my beats to a mastering lab. Getting good quality myself is part of the process.

your not an engineer i can tell.

1st off cuz you wouldnt be mxing in your mv8000 and you dont send beats 2 a mastering lab you send songs 2 the mastering lab the only time you send the beat 2 the mastering lab is if that track is being used for a single.

like i said mix your shit the best way you can on the mv8000 and let them turn the volume up if your really cant live without the volume loud get a pc find a hacked version of cubase and a hacked version of t racks or waves diamond and dump your cd 2 the cpu and import into there and use either the l2 or or the preset on the tracks 2 get your where you want 2 go..

and i say this cuz i am an engineer and producer went 2 fullsail five years ago. its not a big deal the volume only on the net 2 people care.. you dont kno how pissed of i see my engineer friends or me for that matta get when you have an overly compressed beat and you gotta add the vocals in there and sit them on top.. 9 times out of 10 it sounds betta if you jus left it alone.

listen to records from the 70's 80's 90's and 2day and you will see music back then wasnt as loud as it is now... if your beats are good then they well get to a good engineer and mastering engineer later on.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
yo you gotta use a limiter/maximiser....

on ythe sliders bring the threshhold down to whatever you like, perhaps to -4db, it will boost the output level 4db, if you set the threshold to say -6db, the level will be boosted by 6db

there you go...

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
from my personal experience of 6 years, proper equalizing gets u the most db out of ur tracks.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
word to tk, those maximizers like L2 n others, will fuck up the sound most of the time.well, at least they are not ment to do the eqing-job for you, this way it makes sense.
invest some time to learn how to use your eqs. as long as your not big enough to make it to the engeneer, your productions wont sound top notch anyway.

pan tracks ! copy your sample tracks, pan them left and right, apply some flanger or/and some reverb to your basses...a wider stereo image will bring up the level as well. maybe you wont notice any changes on the db-meter, but quite often its about "more" and not "louder". psychoacustics n shit....

sorry for crappy english

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
honestly, I went to Full Sail, and in reality, you're not in a position to be paying for mastering. I understand that. Really, just throw a maximizer plugin (L2 or Maxim), just like Haze said. Yes, it DOES kill your dynamic range and idealy isnt the best solution, but really, if you're just shopping your beats around and whatnot, it's good enough. If you have a track thats gonna go to the studio and be properly mixed/mastered, then you use the raw, softer track, then master the final product with vocals and everything. Bottom line, just do what you gotta do to get the right result.

Don't worry about the red clipping lights. Use your ears. If it doesnt sound distorted, it's probably not.

members online