How to sample from TV or DVD player?

R

raven2t2

I currently sample from vinyl,tape decks, walkman cd players, and my ipod pretty much anything I can get my hands on and plug into my mixer preamp.

But, I havent quite figured out how to plug my "Y cables" or RCA jacks into my tv or dvd player. To get sound to play back on my monitors which i have hooked up to my pc soundcard. Everything else works just find but i get the "loud clipping hiss" fuzzy stuff lol when i plug into my tv or dvd player.

Is there a way or a device to hook up my mixer preamp to my tv or dvd player? Do I need anything besides the rca jacks with male and female connections and my Y cables? Thanks in advance.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Me too, I want to know this answer as well.
In fact I asked it bout a month or so ago, the answer I got was that you should run everything thru your vcr into your mixer.. I havent tried it yet 1 cuz I been busy and 2 cuz that didnt sound right..But its worth a try. Im rearrangin shit around the house today so I may get all the gear in the same room today.
Try it out and lemme know Raven...

R

raven2t2

I'm at work now but i'll try it in 12 long hours lol. I have a dvd player/reciever though. Same hook-ups neway but, it seems like i've tried that and still get the loud clipping hiss. It's just weird because I can hook up anything else from a phono or line level and be tweaking and recording right away. I would love to be able to figure this out and not have to mic up my speakers i'd rather get a direct feed from a line signal if possible.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Are you hooking up the output RCAs from the DVD player/VCR and plugging em into the line section of your mixer? Are you recording directly from the TV? Or are you using the cable box?

I've done it before, but I don't remember getting any static. Maybe it's the cables?

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
most newer tv's from the last 8 - 10 years have audio outs on the back. if you go thru the vcr you are going to get a hiss that is beyond processing

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
ive sampled tv dvd's and vcr's with no hiss or clipping. i run the rca out of those to whatever mixer i have an open channel on usually the one that my technic on. then i use the tape out on my mixer to the sampler. im figurering that the gain control on my mixer is solving the problem that you all are having. are you guys using an external mixer say, or like and internal computer mixer? its always nice to have a few mixers around. even real cheap ones that can be easily fixed are priceless at times!!

R

raven2t2

ok, here's what i do...

1- goto:

http://www.download.com/CDex/3000-21...ml?tag=lst-0-1

and download CDEX (for FREE).

2-goto Radio Shack and buy these mic plugs. They'll only cost a total of about $8-9. Here's what the plugs look like:

FYI: there's a smaller one that's both plugs in one:

3-Get a TV and DVD player/ps2/xbox/whatever and have it in the same vacinty that your pc is in.

4-Take the A/V cable from the DVD player/ps2/xbox/whatever and plug the Yellow plug into the TV and the Red and White into the mic plug you got from RS.

5- Insert the mic plug into the line in or mic input .

6-Open CDEX.

7-Click At the top where it says "Tools" and then click "Record From Analog Input."

8a-Make sure it's got "Free Length" selected.

8b-Where it says "Input Device" select "Backline In/Mic."

9-Select where you want the file to save.

10-Select what you want the name of the file to be.

FYI-"Add Sequential Numbers...." is pretty much useless IMO. It just adds numbers to the end of every file you record.

11-Where it says "Output File Type," click "LAME MP3 Encoder."

FYI- Before recording make sure, you check your master volume. If you're using Windows, make the mic volume go to the 3rd bar from the bottom. DO NOT TURN ON "MICROPHONE BOOST"

12-When you're ready to record, click "Record."

That's it. Should you want to convert the file to WAV/vise versa. On the right there are some icons, just place the mouse over them for a few seconds, and it'll tell you which one does what. Although the icons are self explanatory. peace.

Got this from another board priceless info!

members online