How to Sell a Beat?

• beat this! voting starts in...

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I know it seems like a simple question with a simple answer but yesterday I was talkin to some dude that left me a comment on my myspace about a beat hook up and I didn't know where to start haha. Do y'all just get straight to prices or start out a friendly convo and then move on from there? Cuz that's what I did, just started a convo with him and then talked about prices but since he wanted my Streets Is Quiet (second beat I made), I just gave it to him for free.

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Iain't sold nothin yet but you know I think you gotta kinda wing it. I mean its always good to establish a relationship, but if they wanna get straight to bsiness then do so. And you only made 2 beats and already got offers? damn

Blunt604

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
well to me its like this... Selling beats is like selling tomatoes in a produce store.... if you dont have money get the fuck out of my produce store!!!!!!!!!you got to treat selling beats as if its a business cause thats what it is you work to make beats so you shouldnt give them away for freee...unless its a business smart move ie. giving a beat to somebody like Nas.... when i sell beats i give potential buyers cheap run down copys with vocal tags on my beats just as a sample.... and i tell them are you truely inrested in buying? if they say yes i continue to polly wit em and establish a price and method of payment. and than when u get ur money send them the beat...if they fuck around just telling them you dont have time to deal with people who gona half step and to either get there business straight or eff off.... no point dealing with some one whos fakin jax. peace!

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Blunt604 said:
well to me its like this... Selling beats is like selling tomatoes in a produce store.... if you dont have money get the fuck out of my produce store!!!!!!!!!you got to treat selling beats as if its a business cause thats what it is you work to make beats so you shouldnt give them away for freee...unless its a business smart move ie. giving a beat to somebody like Nas.... when i sell beats i give potential buyers cheap run down copys with vocal tags on my beats just as a sample.... and i tell them are you truely inrested in buying? if they say yes i continue to polly wit em and establish a price and method of payment. and than when u get ur money send them the beat...if they fuck around just telling them you dont have time to deal with people who gona half step and to either get there business straight or eff off.... no point dealing with some one whos fakin jax. peace!

Alright man thanks. Much appreciated. I'm gonna keep this in mind when somebody asks again.

And to Arc.I.Tect., lol, it was my second beat I beat I made, but I've made 4 so far and have 3 waiting to be mixed.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Seoul P said:
I know it seems like a simple question with a simple answer but yesterday I was talkin to some dude that left me a comment on my myspace about a beat hook up and I didn't know where to start haha. Do y'all just get straight to prices or start out a friendly convo and then move on from there? Cuz that's what I did, just started a convo with him and then talked about prices but since he wanted my Streets Is Quiet (second beat I made), I just gave it to him for free.

Step 1. Hire me as your manager!

Step 2. Keep making new beats

Step 3. Meet me at the BET awards in a brand new Benz (or 92' Honda Civic depending on how hot your beats really are!)

Always remember that the beat you might think is trash is hot to somebody else, so always try to get a lil' cash, but if you see it as a "win-win" and an opportunity to acquire more work down the line, then I would give a freebie out and keep it touch and build with the artist.

Opera Populare

Graduate Of The Game
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
very true about the you might think a beat is trash view. I had threw somethin i thought was trash at the end of this cd i gave someone cuz they didnt have that much money for beats. he picked the two i thought he would and he picked the trash one at the end like he might use it for his radio single i'm like gatdamn ain't that somethin and now he juss set me up wit someone who tryin to do they whole album so imma try and produce this whole kids project. the connections people have are a beautiful thing u might as well join along in the line