How To Utilize Social Media As A Producer

yungsteezen

Battle Points: 5
So I've been producing for around 2 years now and I know my beats are good enough for artists to use but I have yet to have anyone sing or rap over them. I have no placements, and I haven't sold any beats either. I would appreciate some help on how to get my beats to artists that would actually want to use them and how I can use social media to build up a fanbase. When I say use social media i mean like what should i be posting, how should I "carry myself" on there so people will actually want to engage. Thanks.

That Guy

Make music that speaks for itself, and then post it with a message that gets people to click on it. People don't have the attention span that they used to, so getting them to even play your track in the first place is an art of its own. Having an interesting title and a graphic to go with it can help, but people still click on type beats so that may not even be necessary depending on who your target audience is. Speaking of target audiences, it helps to post in communities where you're more likely to find rappers looking for beats. If you only post on your personal Facebook or Instagram, you can't expect to be seen by people who are looking for beats.

That said, understand that the market for beats is flooded and will be for the foreseeable future now that everyone and their dog can download a DAW. Selling beats and "making it" without money or nepotism is largely about being seen by the right person at the right time, which makes consistency the most important factor. The more you post in as many relevant places as you can, the better your chances are of being seen by the right people.

yungsteezen

yeah so I've been thinking about that part where you said not to just post on my personal social media accounts, so should I just make a new account on each social media platform and use my producer name where I would have to start with 0 followers or should I just turn my personal account into my producer account so i don't have to start from zero.

That Guy

I'd make a separate one because it forces you to decide on a name and stick with it, and because you don't want people to be able to find your family/friends/workplace by looking at your producer profile. You could post your new account on your current one to let people know, or re-add the ones who are there for your music. Also avoids being ignored or unfollowed by anyone who gets tired of regular self-promotion.

yungsteezen

I'd make a separate one because it forces you to decide on a name and stick with it, and because you don't want people to be able to find your family/friends/workplace by looking at your producer profile. You could post your new account on your current one to let people know, or re-add the ones who are there for your music. Also avoids being ignored or unfollowed by anyone who gets tired of regular self-promotion.
Word that sounds like a plan. Much appreciated!

This alone is reason enough to have a separate account for promo. Im still promoting on my main account on FB, and dont relentlessly plug my shit a a result