I didnt realise how good FL Studio was

DJ Wax-Turtle

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
I love Fruity Loops!
Had a demo in high school but bought a MV-8000 back in 2005. After that a MV-8800.
And than I just started up FL someday for no reason cause i still had it on my computer and then realized the power of it.
Chopping like 4 times faster with Edison, than drag it over from Edison to Fruity Slicer and start sequencing.
The weird thing i found about the MV is that it had a mouse but you couldn't just draw in notes shorter/longer in a Piano Roll. You had Step Edit everything. (SHIZZZ!!!)

Sold the MV and been using FL since 2008.

I love Fruity Loops!
Had a demo in high school but bought a MV-8000 back in 2005. After that a MV-8800.
And than I just started up FL someday for no reason cause i still had it on my computer and then realized the power of it.
Chopping like 4 times faster with Edison, than drag it over from Edison to Fruity Slicer and start sequencing.
The weird thing i found about the MV is that it had a mouse but you couldn't just draw in notes shorter/longer in a Piano Roll. You had Step Edit everything. (SHIZZZ!!!)

Sold the MV and been using FL since 2008.
People have been telling me about fruity loops since it was fruity loops, I was only using Reason back then, and I was put off by FL's interface, still am a little, but its features, and like you say, edison and just dragging and dropping chops is fucking amazing, so easy to get them on time too

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
I'm really considering moving daw. But I usually don't even have time to make beats, so learning another daw would be a huge investment in time and money.
(btw I've used Reason since 2.0 maybe.... a friend hacked it for me back then).

But yes some daws offer very appealing features. FL being one of them daws.

I'm really considering moving daw. But I usually don't even have time to make beats, so learning another daw would be a huge investment in time and money.
(btw I've used Reason since 2.0 maybe.... a friend hacked it for me back then).

But yes some daws offer very appealing features. FL being one of them daws.
Same here, I used reason for about a decade from reason 3 and same with the work situation, I work long hours and rarely get the time anymore. And when I get a couple days off, I want to rest hahahaha Im getting fucking old, I creak and crack when I move and dust starts flying everywhere

DJ Wax-Turtle

ILLIEN
I've tried Ableton a little but as soon as I saw them drumracks i was back on FL's FPC.
FPC is far nicer for drums but...

Why doesn't FPC just pitch-down the drum in semi-tones?
It goes from 196 cents to 206 cents but not 200 cents. (Which is exactly 2 semi-tones)
Or has this something to do with how real drums are pitched?

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
I've tried Ableton a little but as soon as I saw them drumracks i was back on FL's FPC.
FPC is far nicer for drums but...

Why doesn't FPC just pitch-down the drum in semi-tones?
It goes from 196 cents to 206 cents but not 200 cents. (Which is exactly 2 semi-tones)
Or has this something to do with how real drums are pitched?
As a drummer i can tell you pitching up or down 2 semitones has nothing to do with real drums...It has variables, like the size of the drum, old vs new drumhead ect... On a second thought, 2 semitones is probably closer to real life then 24 semitones...

@DJ Dope-Needlz If pitching drums is something you need dont use FPC, also having your kick on its own channel is essential for side-chained compression. With the drums on their own channels, and preferrably in their own tracks it makes drum variation very easy, including opening up the piano roll for pitch shifting as many semitomes as you like.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Guys you're gon' make me throw my good old Reason away. :oops:Hmmm.
How good would you say Fruity Loops could be for other genres, mainly not electronic music (i.e. that requires recording several live instruments?)

DJ Wax-Turtle

ILLIEN
As a drummer i can tell you pitching up or down 2 semitones has nothing to do with real drums...It has variables, like the size of the drum, old vs new drumhead ect... On a second thought, 2 semitones is probably closer to real life then 24 semitones...

I personally hate side-chaining Kicks. It hardly ever sounds better with it.

I mean the side chain is to make the bass line sound better not the kick drum....
exactly, it just ducks the bassline so the frequencies dont clash.
Also sidechaining to all sorts of things is part and parcel of house and dance music so it pumps and breathes
Its great for making a delay or reverb duck out and only come in when the vocal stops. Very powerful tool is sidechaining, not to be underestimated

I really need to set time aside to get used to Fruity again. Have you used any MIDI with it yet?

What do you mean by midi? Outboard. I only have one outboard synth my Korg Micro. But I dont even use it.
As for input, I use my M-Audio Oxygen 61 Mk IV.
I prefer to play and record as I play, cant stand painting notes with a mouse, takes too long and you dont have the human element to it without fucking around shifting notes about. I like the quick and easy no fucking about approach to making music hahahaha.

members online