I Fricking Knew It!!!!

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
It's been bugging the shit out of me... Jamie Foxx and Ludacris's new single "Unpredictable"...

Everytime I hear it, it's like I can hear the essence of that Gravediggaz song "Unexplained" dripping from it. I researched it, and BAM!! they both sampled the song "Wildflower" by the group The New Birth.

I think Poetic did a better job flipping the sample on "Unexplained" anyway.

The whole point of this thread, is Does anyone else know of a song that's been sampled recently, but was flipped awhile back wayyyy better?

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
What the fuck man? 'Shorty wanna be a thug' is the best version of Wildflower.

And Wildflower has been done by TONS of artists but the original composer is Doug Edwards. Kanye used Hank Crawford's version, and I think 2Pac did as well.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yea thats right it woz hank crawford i woz trying to remember the guys name ! yea i agree vince i always liked the 2pac song, and your right a load of ppl have used it but 2pacs is the most well known version !

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
The funny part about these comments is that u can say, " it was a very strong tupac song" and it still be stronger then most of the cats out now.. a weak tupac song is equal to about 75% of the industries "AVERAGE" songs... and that's coming for a NOT HUGE tupac fan... LOL

Benny BuKu

BAD NEWS
ill o.g.
Freakwncy said:
The funny part about these comments is that u can say, " it was a very strong tupac song" and it still be stronger then most of the cats out now.. a weak tupac song is equal to about 75% of the industries "AVERAGE" songs... and that's coming for a NOT HUGE tupac fan... LOL

I know I'ma make alotta people mad at me with this one....but I was never that impressed with Pac as an MC....I will grant you that he was one of the most influential MC's of all time...also a very important MC...but I don't put him in my top 10 (maybe even 20) of all time...just my thoughts man.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
I think alot of people sleep on Tupac's mic abilities though. Listen to the collabos he did with Biggie(while they both were alive) and you can see that he was at Biggie's level. And as a lyricist he took it to another level if you look at how he poured his emotions and feelings into his lyrics. He used hip-hop music as a way to went his feelings. Rapping wasn't a choice for him, it was neccesary for him.

stormelements

Beats That Knock
ill o.g.
Dantson said:
It's been bugging the shit out of me... Jamie Foxx and Ludacris's new single "Unpredictable"...

Everytime I hear it, it's like I can hear the essence of that Gravediggaz song "Unexplained" dripping from it. I researched it, and BAM!! they both sampled the song "Wildflower" by the group The New Birth.

I think Poetic did a better job flipping the sample on "Unexplained" anyway.

The whole point of this thread, is Does anyone else know of a song that's been sampled recently, but was flipped awhile back wayyyy better?

Swizz used that same sample on Cassidy's joint called On Tha Grind.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
werd to the motherfucker, 2pac is slept on lyrically!

he was fuckin sick, his flow was ILL on alot of songs and his delivery was SO strong.

alot of ppl miss his skills because they are dazzled by his messages n things.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
SeveredTies said:
That Gwen Stafani Song that is on the radio merry-go-round now.....

You know which song I am talking about.

uhm, I think you're talking about Isley Brothers - In between the sheets and not Wildflower...or am I wrong?

S

Svenghali

Benny BuKu said:
I know I'ma make alotta people mad at me with this one....but I was never that impressed with Pac as an MC....I will grant you that he was one of the most influential MC's of all time...also a very important MC...but I don't put him in my top 10 (maybe even 20) of all time...just my thoughts man.

My nigga. I'm with you. Pac was definently one of the most influential rappers of all-time. He makes my top 20 by way of impact on the Hip Hop community. When he was alive I dug some of his joints but never would I have imagined that he would go on to be PERCEIVED as one of the greatest rappers of all-time. I got a chance to meet 'Pac in '94. He used to come down to Miami frequently, basically to hang out, chase hoes, and rap for hire. He'd drop a verse on anybody's record as long as they agreed to either give him cash or weed. He was a real likeable dude though, really intelligent and a trip to be around.

Benny BuKu

BAD NEWS
ill o.g.
Svenghali said:
My nigga. I'm with you. Pac was definently one of the most influential rappers of all-time. He makes my top 20 by way of impact on the Hip Hop community. When he was alive I dug some of his joints but never would I have imagined that he would go on to be PERCEIVED as one of the greatest rappers of all-time. I got a chance to meet 'Pac in '94. He used to come down to Miami frequently, basically to hang out, chase hoes, and rap for hire. He'd drop a verse on anybody's record as long as they agreed to either give him cash or weed. He was a real likeable dude though, really intelligent and a trip to be around.

That's cool that you got to meet him...

I know we took this thread in a different direction than was intended....my bad.
Just had to put that out there...Pac wasn't anywhere near the best MC.

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Vince said:
uhm, I think you're talking about Isley Brothers - In between the sheets and not Wildflower...or am I wrong?

Its the one they jacked from B.I.G., then she just sang over it. Its one thing to use the same sample....but to sample the beat???

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
Well, to the defense of the Gwen Stefani song, whoever produced the BIG joint basically jacked the beat in its entirety, Gwen did the same. I have yet to hear anyone really chop that sample up. I guess the Isley's made the track to perfection, chopping it up would just hurt it?! I dont know.

What's sad is the best break/section of the Isley Brothers track to use in my opinion, is the end where the guitars or synth or whatever comes in. I don't have the track handy, but I'm sure all who have listened know what part I'm talkin about. Jay-Z did a freestyle/mixtape joint that dropped after the Black Album I believe, forgot what it's called, but anyways, he used the good part of the Isley beat. My favorite version of the beat to date.

On to the whole Tupac thing, to me he is the best rapper/Mc of all time. And that's an overall opinion. With everything in consideration. Lyrical skills, overall tracks, flow, swagger etc. In my opinion, Biggie doesn't even make my top 5. If he does make the top 5, he's definately #5, no higher. To me a great artist, is one who can touch an emotion. If I feel goosebumps when I listen to a song, the artist did his/her job. I can honestly say, Biggie never hit me once like that. Never gave me the goosebumps. Pac does that on a regular basis, with many of his songs. That to me makes an artist great. But that's my opinion, and one mans trash, is another mans treasure. That's what's great about art, there is no right or wrong opinion.

members online