I guess this is why contracts or written agreements are crucial......

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
Who made that beat??..... LMFAO

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-0X6tpUrw"]Rapper Mac Miller Gets Confronted In New York For Jacking A Producers Beat Without Giving Credit! - YouTube[/ame]

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Wow, very unprofessional, but I think it goes all around to both sides. It sucks what Mac did, but on the other hand those producers should have had some sort of contract in place as well. I'm not saying what Mac did was okay since there was no contract, but to me, just giving a beat like that is not good, no matter how big the rapper's name is.

It's great that these guys did this video though because how many people would actually go and confront someone for jacking their beat? That's awesome they did that. I hope Mac and lots of other rappers out there watch this video.

Contacts, contracts, contracts!

* Moved to Industry Talk.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Happens all the time. Interesting that the basis of the argument is to get credit on Youtube for a song/video with a few million views. Shows that views are the new 'currency' for artists nowadays.

Sad thing is, that argument lost them the opportunity to work together again now that Mac is really "on". It was a simple misunderstanding but it got physical.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Sad...from a beatmaker/producer standpoint that these dude who were supposed to be about their shit slipped up and gave a dude a beat with no contract.

I don't blame Mac for doing what he did...if people are going to just give you their shit, that's their fault that they didn't go through the necessary process to ensure they are credited for their work.

As someone who produces music, I don't just throw shit out there without something attached to it. Your music is your service...you don't provide that service for free.. That shows that these producers are unprofessional, and that they won't have anyone take them seriously in the future.....They make him agree to some kind of contract, they don't show up in dudes face like they gonna smack the dude, now it doesn't show credibility because...well...it's Mac Miller......a child..........

Poor judgment on the producers' part....shame on them...they don't deserve to get those credits....it's the same if Mac took a free beat from soundclick....

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
What type of contract do you guys think should be used when giving somebody a free beat? Guaranteed promo or what? Whats a good example of one for giving free beats.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
when people want "free" beats I still send an agreement for them to sign and return understanding that I do own the rights because its a free beat and credit is to be given upon releasing it, I've weeded out a lot of rappers that way because they just want free shit. Don't even want to sign an agreement. Even when there is a buyer you better still have the proper language in that agreement/contract tho I still tag my beats at the beginning anyway (not 100% affective), to kind of avoid situations like this particular one (non professional on both the producers and Mac Miller's behalf) at the same time I can see why they probably did not send an agreement because they want to get a buzz at any cost (possibly) but hey everyone gets burned or beats get jacked at some point. The messed up part would be if this song sold millions of mp3 downloads and these dudes didn't get one red cent. I see a lot of debates where some beatmakers/producers only send snippets to the artist and some send full length beats. Personally I send the full length beats tagged in the beginning and areas where the beat builds up or break down. I'm curious to know some of the techniques some of you all use.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Wow, very unprofessional, but I think it goes all around to both sides. It sucks what Mac did, but on the other hand those producers should have had some sort of contract in place as well. I'm not saying what Mac did was okay since there was no contract, but to me, just giving a beat like that is not good, no matter how big the rapper's name is.

It's great that these guys did this video though because how many people would actually go and confront someone for jacking their beat? That's awesome they did that. I hope Mac and lots of other rappers out there watch this video.

Contacts, contracts, contracts!

* Moved to Industry Talk.

+1'ed... both made mistakes!

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Happens all the time. Interesting that the basis of the argument is to get credit on Youtube for a song/video with a few million views. Shows that views are the new 'currency' for artists nowadays.

Idk if currency is the right word. But, recognition is make or break type important. They may not get another high visibility placement because of it but they couldve made alot more if Mac gave'em that space.

Slightly off topic side note: View counts are the most overrated gauge of impact there is. Download numbers are cool but nothing beats Sales (Music and merch) and show attendance.

when people want "free" beats I still send an agreement for them to sign and return understanding that I do own the rights because its a free beat and credit is to be given upon releasing it, I've weeded out a lot of rappers that way because they just want free shit. Don't even want to sign an agreement. Even when there is a buyer you better still have the proper language in that agreement/contract tho I still tag my beats at the beginning anyway (not 100% affective), to kind of avoid situations like this particular one (non professional on both the producers and Mac Miller's behalf) at the same time I can see why they probably did not send an agreement because they want to get a buzz at any cost (possibly) but hey everyone gets burned or beats get jacked at some point. The messed up part would be if this song sold millions of mp3 downloads and these dudes didn't get one red cent. I see a lot of debates where some beatmakers/producers only send snippets to the artist and some send full length beats. Personally I send the full length beats tagged in the beginning and areas where the beat builds up or break down. I'm curious to know some of the techniques some of you all use.

Good practice!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Definitely promo and credit for the record if it's provided for free.

A shout out and future work if initial project was successful.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Idk if currency is the right word. But, recognition is make or break type important. They may not get another high visibility placement because of it but they couldve made alot more if Mac gave'em that space.

Slightly off topic side note: View counts are the most overrated gauge of impact there is. Download numbers are cool but nothing beats Sales (Music and merch) and show attendance.

Good practice!

Currency refers to any object/concept that has a perceived value. Views in today's industry have a definite monetary value, especially if he's in the YouTube Partner program, and for rappers in Mac's category, there are dozens of Product Placement agreements that companies sign with rappers/reality stars etc. on the low solely based on views.

I would agree with you about view counts being overrated but I've witnessed too many examples of artists/producers with waaaaay less talent than the members of Illmuzik, who are making major moves because they uploaded a video that went viral.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Currency refers to any object/concept that has a perceived value. Views in today's industry have a definite monetary value, especially if he's in the YouTube Partner program, and for rappers in Mac's category, there are dozens of Product Placement agreements that companies sign with rappers/reality stars etc. on the low solely based on views.

I would agree with you about view counts being overrated but I've witnessed too many examples of artists/producers with waaaaay less talent than the members of Illmuzik, who are making major moves because they uploaded a video that went viral.

Ok I can see that. Idk what the view/pay out ratio for the youtube partnership is. Has to be pennys though (I know adsense isnt much either).

True though, myspace views got people alot of opportunities, even though the counts could be gamed or bought. I cant believe that its still a relevant indicator of hype or demand though. Thats ultimately what business' want, your audience.

members online