I Have Found The Cure For Producers Block!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Since my 'accident' back in May...I've been struggling to get music put on my phone just to have something to listen to. I went for the basic 1970's - 80's rnb music at first, you know the classic stuff...Luther, Prince, EWF and so on...

As I started listening to these old songs, I realized how much music I was missing in my flip library. I also noticed how many quality samples that I had overlooked...I mean some really good stuff had sliped away in my quest to find a rare sample to make something unique out of. Im convinced as a producer that we get into these modes where we look too hard or over think the process of choosing a sample to flip.

Ofcorse I dont wish what happened to me on anyone...but its been an eye opening experience that has taught me a lot about myself and my music production. So instead, Im sharing my experience so that you all dont have to go through the tough stuff.

1. Clear your mind
2. We take so much music for granted...revisit the basic songs that you would normally pass up.
3. There are some serious jewels hidden right under your noses, treat every song as such and find that jewel. Just remember, you have to search for a jewel...its not gonna jump up and smack you in the face.
4. Dont get too lost into finding something rare when you can take something very common and create something rare out of it.

I promise you, producers block will no longer exist in your world once you apply this mind frame to your work. Good luck and keep chopping.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's true. I listen to old stuff every day and I often come across a song that I had in my collection that I forgot about, then I hear a great sample. Hence, "bangers".

M

MickeyBlueEyes

Great post. I usually do the same . I like to revisit the samples I've used too. Listening to how I flipped them then skimming through unused samples of mine.

members online