I need a new mic / mixer / soundcard setup :: suggestions ??

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Whats Good Ill family ...

I've finally moved up a notch in my engineering ability list. Been doing alot of recording at home with local artists for the past 2 months now, every night. I been using the Emu 1212m And A Studio Projects B1 and Yamaha MG12

but now its time to step the quality up a notch

so what do you guys suggest for purchasing as far as mics/soundcard/amps/mixers ???

beatboye

ill o.g.
A filter is important as your work load increases so you don't have to wait to progress
i present the MFC42 its not important but the little things help to step up your game to fame

The MFC42 is a true analog filter module designed by Akai for their MPC-series gear. However, you can use it to process any sound source since it has basic 1/4" inputs and outputs and MIDI! It has genuine analog filters for that warmer tone with Lowpass, Highpass, Bandpass, and Notch filter types. It consists of a MONO filter section and STEREO filter section. The MONO section offers 2-, 4-, and 8-pole filter slopes. The STEREO section offers 2- and 4-pole filter slopes. The MONO 8-pole slope utilizes the whole filter circuitry so the STEREO section is not active. Likewise, the MONO section is inactive when the STEREO section is in 4-pole mode. But when both sections are used simultaneously, they can be linked so that the MONO filter's control knobs control both MONO and STEREO sections. The link can also be inverted so the two sections sweep in opposite directions.

TheDragon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The M-Audio Audiophile 192 card 2good is talking about, I have as well, and currently, I like it better than my Mbox 2. Ever look at the Motu Ultra-Lite?

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
imo here is the order u should prioritize ur equipment and spend money, from most important to least important

room treatment, monitors, sounds and samples, mics , preamp , mixer/interface, ad/da ... for mics <<<$1,000, the audio techinica 40xx line is pretty hard to beat. excellent value.. i really like both 4047 and the 4060. i used the 4047 to record all the vocals on the smash brothers album coming out and it worked well. try them all out , they all sound diffrent but all sound good. If i were u i would focus first on room treatment, trust me shit made a huge diffrence in my mixes and my room is still far from professionally treated its jusk "ok".

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
The M-Audio Audiophile 192 card 2good is talking about, I have as well, and currently, I like it better than my Mbox 2. Ever look at the Motu Ultra-Lite?

I have the UltraLite. Its a solid interface with a huge amount of I/O. The build quality is excellent and its form factor is cool too, not too big, not too small. The LED screen is cool because you get a digital read out of input and output signals, both analog and midi, as well as what sample rate your working in. The knobs are all detented in very small incriments making it very easy to make precise adjustments to mic trims, and the control software that comes with the UltraLite is very easy to use and straight forward.

With that said, the Mic Pres are not bad, their def better than a M-Audio interface but still they are so-so in my book.

If you want really good converters and Pres straight out the box i would roll with a RME or a APOGEE.

When i initially bought the UltraLite the Apogee Duet hadnt come out yet, but I would have easily purchased it instead regardless of the obvious lack of I/O thanks to its top notch converters and Mic Pres.