I Need Cool Edit Tips

Weapon-X

I Got Cool Edit And A USB Mic And I'm Tryin To Get My Tracks Sounding As Good As I Can, Any And All Advice Is Welcome

H.Quality

ILLIEN
Why not get a better mic, and better software? Cool Edit is a great audio editor, but I'd never mix an entire track with it. Maybe thats just me, but there are other softwares out there, such as Reaper, that just seem to work better for recording and mixing. Everything is so smooth in Reaper 5. Recording, punching in, routing, FX, the whole interface, its awesome. Cool Edit limits me a lot. Maybe I just don't know how to use it, but I don't want to have to look up a tutorial for something every 10 minutes.

2c.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Hey I think I was talking with you on FB last night!
First off I think your going to need to get a better pc, something with as much RAM as you can afford.
Next a better mic fasho, how long have you been using cool edit?

If you have any specific questions about cool edit Im sure these guys can help.

RedRayn

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Get Adobe Audition. Also, if you are using a condenser mic, you need a mic booth or a reflection filter because it attracts alot of background feedback. If you are just starting out, use a Shure microphone.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Why not get a better mic, and better software? Cool Edit is a great audio editor, but I'd never mix an entire track with it. Maybe thats just me, but there are other softwares out there, such as Reaper, that just seem to work better for recording and mixing. Everything is so smooth in Reaper 5. Recording, punching in, routing, FX, the whole interface, its awesome. Cool Edit limits me a lot. Maybe I just don't know how to use it, but I don't want to have to look up a tutorial for something every 10 minutes.

2c.
i've mixed an entire album with cool edit. it wasn't that bad. of course that was before i got logic, or reason was able to do audio. it was a case of use what you got.

i agree. if you're going to cool edit route, get adobe audition....and a better mic. also remember, the sound quality coming out all depends on the sound quality going in.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I still love using Zynewave Podium. I'd suggest going that way if you arent hard set on CE/AA. Podium is much easier on the CPU and Memory & much cheaper (Free/50 USD)

As for Microphones, usb mics are great and all. But I'd go with an XLR, unless you dont mind the limited selection and are positive you're never ever going to use with anything but your own machine.

Adobe® Audition® CS6
Accelerate your audio workflow: Speed up production with improved features for file preview, clip spotting, audio sweetening, project sharing, and more. Enjoy intuitive mixing and mastering tools.
Collaborate easily and effectively: Produce top-quality audio for film, broadcast, games, and other projects more efficiently with smooth Adobe Premiere Pro roundtrip editing and easy project exchange with other NLEs and DAWs.
http://cs6-adobe.blogspot.in/2012/06/whats-new-in-adobe-audition-cs6.html

Sounds like you work at Adobe.
I would recommend Soundforge, Ive been using it for many years, its fucking amazing.