I sold reason, imma buy Sonar 7

Bakatraxx

ill o.g.
I think it is the right move.

I'm gonna wait a week, and when I havent change my mind i'm gonna get sonar 7.

arent they completely different types of software, doesnt sonar need vst's to synthesise. I thought it was like acid in that it works with audio files. maybe Im wrong, I dont know sonar. If the demo track on the homepage is anything to go by, im not too impressed by the sounds on sonar. I will look into it.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I have Sonar 7. It's nothing without Virtual instruments unless you are using it to track hardware. It has a lot of bugs in it to. They haven't released a fix for most of them yet.

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
I Would Keep Reason And Rewire Into Sonar, Reason Being(no Pun Intended) Is That Reason Is A Very Nice Beast To Have And When You Rewire You Can Use Effects And What Not In Sonar. As For The Bugs In Sonar, I Found When You Build Pc's To The Specs That Cakewalk Uses To Test The Software You Be Pretty Str8.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have Sonar 6 PE and it have almost everything I need to make music. I've simply added a handful of VST's/DXi's and I'm solid. I've been using that more than Cubase SX3 lately, but still not as much as FL Studio.

Bakatraxx

ill o.g.
The reason Imma gonna use sonar is the following

The new sonar producer edition has better midi editing then reason. There are a lot of cool instruments included in sonar, same with fx. There is some tight shit in there. check this
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/English/New/plugins.asp

Well it's either sonar 7 producer edition or Fl studio xxl.

What do you guys think about those 2 comparing. I heard the FL studio sounds are shit. (standard sounds)
I also heard that sonar 7 packs with pretty good sounds.

Damn, i'm having a blackout.

Reason is already sold.

But I don't wanna go back to reason. I liked it, it's good. But for a lil bit more in price I could have sonar7 prod or fl xxl . I think that would be a better deal. I'm more into real software instead of hardware emulation software

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
All Stock sounds are shit, but you could of have just kept reason ands spared the extra $$$ for the Sonar and then Rewired it.

Why do you FL? you didnt even mention any eye grabing feature to make you pick between it and Sonar.

Maybe you should DL trials of the two and test em out for feel and compatiblity. That would help make a decision.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
The new sonar producer edition has better midi editing then reason. There are a lot of cool instruments included in sonar, same with fx. There is some tight shit in there. check this
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/English/New/plugins.asp

Well it's either sonar 7 producer edition or Fl studio xxl.

What do you guys think about those 2 comparing. I heard the FL studio sounds are shit. (standard sounds)
I also heard that sonar 7 packs with pretty good sounds.

Damn, i'm having a blackout.

Reason is already sold.

But I don't wanna go back to reason. I liked it, it's good. But for a lil bit more in price I could have sonar7 prod or fl xxl . I think that would be a better deal. I'm more into real software instead of hardware emulation software

real software, emulation software? I'm not understanding that statement at all. U sound confused homeboy. I suggest u do what Kontents said. U can't keep buying shit and selling it because you think something else is better. Keep that up and you won't master anything.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Lil Drama Boi; said:
U can't keep buying shit and selling it because you think something else is better. Keep that up and you won't master anything.

I got a friend like that, he bought one peice of gear in high school and has been trasding up ever since! lol I get on him about that, hes had the same gear I have now Twice!! lol
And STILL traded out agin, I think he has a problem with it now!

Bakatraxx

ill o.g.
real software, emulation software? I'm not understanding that statement at all. U sound confused homeboy. I suggest u do what Kontents said. U can't keep buying shit and selling it because you think something else is better. Keep that up and you won't master anything.

With real software and hardware emulation I mean that Reason emulates (acts) like harware. With the rack and the cables. With real software I mean like cubase and sonar or fl .. You use them as software, the interface doesn't act like hardware.

Your right, I cant keep buying shit, thats why I'm trying to figure out what I should buy and master.

And I know what reason can, but I just don't like "the way" to do it. And yea I tryed a demo, and I liked it. After buying the full version and making like 10 beats I disliked it. Can't do thing about it.

Now I'm on a mission to find the DAW that's right for me. FL and Sonar 7 are my options for now. I know there is a lot of DAW's but fl and sonar I seem to like.

Here is a list with my opinions and likes/dislikes

Cubase:
Expensive
Not much sounds included
Very mature
Widely supported
Amazing midi possibilities

Pro Tools:
Can't use, dont have m-audio hardware (I have an audiofire 8 interface)

FL studio:
Don't know if I should luv it or hate it.
I like the step sequencer but it seems that it is massing a mature "normal" sequencer. like cubase/sonar/protools
I heard stock sounds really suck, but with the xxl not
Lifetime free upgrades has catched my attention.
The demo feels nice and fast!

Sonar:
Heard not a lot about it.
Comes with a pack of sounds/plugins and quality FX
Has a fast upgrade line that can be expensive
Installed the demo 2 months before so I can"t install it again. (30 day trial time over)

What I am looking for is

Good Stock instruments/sounds/samples
Good stock plug ins(Reverb, Compression and flanger are most important for me)
stable and widely supported
fast work flow and good midi possibilities
An extension for creativity
Possibility to record vocals, and mix whole songs(vocals, beats, sounds, .. everything)

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Good luck! Post a beat when you get your mind right......in about 3 years!

How long did you have Reason....what version?

The stock vsti's that may come with sonar will not be what you need to produce descent music. Either way you go you'll have to get additional "quality" sounds to produce good music. There's no way around that! I been using reason since 2.0. I recently started rewiring it wiith DAWS that make use of VSTs and VSTi's. This has expanded my prodcution abilities tremendously. The key here is that I "mastered" my center piece production tool which is Reason. I didn't move to anything else until I did. I don't care what you purchase now you'll find that you need something else later when you want to do other things. That's the way the production ball bounces! No out the box software will have everything you'll want or need. No stock software will come with the top of the line VSTs or sounds. If they did no one would be able to afford them. That's all I'm saying..but good luck on your journey.

Oh yeah...get prepared for some serious midi delay with Sonar. Cubase SX3, Sonar 7, and nuendo 3 all have the same midi latency issues. Google "midi timing problems" for either and you'll see what I type is true. Unless you plan on purchasing a "top of the line" sound card buyer beware. You'll find out soon enough!

The stock vsti's that may come with sonar will not be what you need to produce descent music. Either way you go you'll have to get additional "quality" sounds to produce good music. There's no way around that! I been using reason since 2.0. I recently started rewiring it wiith DAWS that make use of VSTs and VSTi's. This has expanded my prodcution abilities tremendously. The key here is that I "mastered" my center piece production tool which is Reason. I didn't move to anything else until I did. I don't care what you purchase now you'll find that you need something else later when you want to do other things. That's the way the production ball bounces! No out the box software will have everything you'll want or need. No stock software will come with the top of the line VSTs or sounds. If they did no one would be able to afford them. That's all I'm saying..but good luck on your journey.

Oh yeah...get prepared for some serious midi delay with Sonar. Cubase SX3, Sonar 7, and nuendo 3 all have the same midi latency issues. Google "midi timing problems" for either and you'll see what I type is true. Unless you plan on purchasing a "top of the line" sound card buyer beware. You'll find out soon enough!

I can vouch for the latency issues in cubase and acid pro. I need to upgrade my soundcard from an old soundblaster live. And get more ram.

Bakatraxx

ill o.g.

WHat?

I have an audiofire 8, Intel core 2 duo 2.2Ghz 2GBram. I don't think I need to worry about latency brother.

Good for you that you have masterd your center peace production thing, but I just DONT like reason man! I'm sorry to let you hear that, you being a reason man and all that. But sorry man, I just can't work with something I don't like.

and I really KNOW that you have to master something, believe me, I'm not your regular wanna make beats guy on this forums. All I do now is asking for some opinions and I'm thankful to get them from you guys.

And It's good that you put out that you have to master your tools and that no stock thing provides good sounds but man, I already knew that. I'm just looking for the DAW with the best stock sounds to begin with. I'm looking for a DAW where I can fall in love with (to put it that way). Just like you are down with reason !

I can't make myself more clear then this I think. Hopefully I will find the right DAW. More advice is always welcomed !

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
WHat?

I have an audiofire 8, Intel core 2 duo 2.2Ghz 2GBram. I don't think I need to worry about latency brother.

Good for you that you have masterd your center peace production thing, but I just DONT like reason man! I'm sorry to let you hear that, you being a reason man and all that. But sorry man, I just can't work with something I don't like.

and I really KNOW that you have to master something, believe me, I'm not your regular wanna make beats guy on this forums. All I do now is asking for some opinions and I'm thankful to get them from you guys.

And It's good that you put out that you have to master your tools and that no stock thing provides good sounds but man, I already knew that. I'm just looking for the DAW with the best stock sounds to begin with. I'm looking for a DAW where I can fall in love with (to put it that way). Just like you are down with reason !

I can't make myself more clear then this I think. Hopefully I will find the right DAW. More advice is always welcomed !

lol..I don't think you're searching for advice. I guarantee that if you said "I don't like Reason" from the start no one would have tried to convince you other wise. When you don't like something why would anybody try to get you to keep it? Your mind is made up so go with what you want. Everybody so far has given you some pretty solid advice and you reply with an argument against it..lol I'm not trying to get you to go out again and cop Reason. Some people can work miracles with it...some people can't grasp it. The whole "wires" when you flip it around thing, which you think makes it "simulate hardware" is simply not true. FL does the same thing you just can't flip modules over and rewire it. It's software not hardware no matter how you put it. I know for a fact Reason has some of the best stock sounds out there. You could have easily rewired it to Sonar and been str8. Skid started with FL and switched to Reason...ask him how much it's up'd his production sound.

The bottom line here's is that you need to get something and stick with it. No matter what it is FL, Reason,Sonar, Acid Pro, Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton, Pro tools. All are solid DAWS with "core" diff't uses. There's no need to abandon it when you can add another program or features and get the job done. I personally own Sonar 7, Cubase SX3, Nuendo 3, Ableton Live 6 and 7, Reason, FL and Pro tools Digi 001. Notice I said own! Meaning I still have them all. I use them for what I need them for and the one that I know won't give me what I need I use another. What does this mean? Simply put, neither had everything out the box. Reason was great to make music with but it's not the best when it comes to doing a good mix down and you can't record vocals. Cubase, Nuendo and Sonar I only use for tracking now. Acid pro 6 I use to chop samples along side Recycle 2.1. My main "go to" music "production" based DAW's right now are Ableton 7 rewired with reason. And I got more VSTs and VSTi's than I care to count.

Out of everything named above only 3 are music production specific though many can be used to produce music. FL, Reason and Ableton are centered around music production. FL and Ableton can be used for vocals as well. All others are centered around recording audio (tracking) but can be used to produce music thru VSTi's.

Bakatraxx

ill o.g.
I'm impressed by cubase 4 vids, just sucks that there isn't any demo.

Thanks for all the advice.

I think right now, cubase is a winner, and not sooo expensive after all (amazon promotion $799).

The included vst's looking good, and I think I should just wait and invest in top notch later, but first I have to learn to work with it.

My mind is indeed made up about reason, but not about what I buy. I'm thinking Cubase now.

Thank god I have patience, I know I'm gonna have to buy somthing someday but I want to make my decision as good as possible. It's not like buying milk.

I'm gonna try cubase in the store one of these days, and then hopefully my decision will fall.

members online