I use Compression (complete Mix) on my Master Channel in Fruity...Problem?

Jut

ill o.g.
I know they say go with your ears, but Im wondering, from a technical standpoint.. Does anyone experts see a problem in this?

Someone told me to put the compressor on the main channel in the mixer (so it applies to the overall sound), and use complete mix. It definitely makes the beat feel a lot louder...

But any forseable problems in doing this? Thanks

I asked this on another board and got conflicting opinions.. Hope yall can help

E

Equality 7-2521

not true. as part of the mastering process, you may compress the song as a whole by using a compressor on the master channel. this should be a multiband compressor. these compressors target specific frequencies instead of the entire frequency spectrum. keep in mind that if you dont know what your doing, using a multiband compressor can be very distructive. also, if you use a normal compressor on the master channel, the entire song will pull down in level when something exceeds the threshold. where as if you use a multibandcompressor, only the freq range specified will be pulled down, meaning smoother and less audible compression.

-JG-

ill o.g.
This is news to me. I've never heard anyone say they've compressed the entire mix. It's always just the kicks or the bassline. To me, it makes sense to treat each track differently. I guess I just don't understand how a compressor can differentiate between different signals that share the same frequency range on the final mix. Apparently I have some reading to do.

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
-JG- said:
you gotta use compression on the seperate mixer channels, not on the complete mix

I have been in some really nice studios and seen some top notch engineers putting compression on the complete mix.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I can't belive that one... ^ I can beleive a multiband compressor! But a str8 up compressor over a master track will give you a bad pumping sound... As apposed to a multi-pressor's compression for each frequency level.. A normal compression will trun your master muddy and certain things will be louder and lower throughout the song, try it out and see..

members online