If you could design your own workstation

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
i think this has been brought up before but there are new people here and this is always interesting.

if you could design your own keyboard/drum machine/whatever what would it be like?

the agent smith keyboard would be like this: I would probably talk with two companies (assuming they would be down). First i would talk to akai. The main brain of the keyboard would be the mpc sequencer with a few upgrades such as a larger, color screen. this would be useful because then i would go talk to the guys at clavia and hire whoever did the soundset for the nord lead to do an entire new soundset for this board. on the left of the screen would be all the synth sound tweaking stuff and on the right would be the pads and the necessary navigation stuff. the screen would only be large so it would be easier on the eyes and you could tweak sounds easier...there would be a dedicated sound tweaking/saving/cataloging environment that was independent of the sequencer window. It would also come with a sampler and a sample slicing utility similar to the one in the fantom x but you could audition the slice points unlike the fantom. also, it would have a vocoder. It would have balanced outputs, 4 grouped outputs, midi in, midi out, digital in/out. It would have something similar to the pitch stick on the nord leads too.

the color scheme would be a nice bronze copper color with black accents...and i'mm scared to think how much it would cost.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
you know i love the workstation i have now.. but it's ofcourse not one piece of equipment. I think there are benefits of having seperate units to a studio instead of one do-it-all unit. Think back at those dvd/vcrs/tv's that always broke down because too much technology packed into one unit and also think about drink spillage, one spill=no studio. But i liked your idea though, akai is the shit

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I will tell you the sounds on the Reason 3.0 CD are very, very good as far as the samples, the patches dope too....I want a synth with patches like that, of course I could just sample them and put them in my MOtif...but I am waiting on the synth that is not a synth, a fully function workstation with REAL patches and unsynthesized....but I would also like the synth capabilities too.....some of the old Roland boards had dope realistic patches....and also the Kurzweil.....I think people want real sounds not vst's that come close and not vst's that are organic...but the real sounds in their tracks....thats why people find themselves sampling....also I want banks that of sounds that come very close to some of the stabs and riffs you have to dig for......I want a bank of drums that are dope as anything a sampling head would kill for......LOL......I want a nice gui that you can work with on the level of a nice monitor or Lcd to work with my samples.....I want 8 outputs.....I want a pad bank on par with the mpc that you can stack up to 8 sounds on a pad....(I copped the fantom S shortly after it dropped and was greatly dissapointed by the their try at putting almost the same pad bank from the 303 and 808...nice try but way too cheap)....
tap bmp function is a must..........I think the Motif came close that new board is probably closer but they need to do their research from the heads that are at their lab right now making tracks......I think its coming though and I was thinking for a brief moment that gear is out or on its way out...not...I dont think so....I think gear is going to incorporate more of what people are trying to cram into their PC......I think the option is there like with what emu is doing but I think that companies like Korg and yamaha have too much at stake to allow everything they manufacture go the way of all in one plug and play cards fully loaded with sounds they would be out of business...with that said since just about every major studio have one of their pieces and at least 1 akai sampler in their arsenal its just not happening.....

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Ill Keep It Short...my Personal Pick Of Drums Cuz Workstations Tend To Lack Hot Drums....and An Endless Amount Of Effects And A Usb In The Back So U Can Download Effects And New Kits

E

Equality 7-2521

i wish digidesign would come out with an 88 key hammer action midi keyboard controller which had a pro tools control surface and i/o built into it.

Snuffdaddy

ill o.g.
^^I heard another guy say the same thing a while ago. That would be Dope, and something alot of PT users would love to see, I would think.

...Should email Digidesign and see what they say... If only just for kicks.