If You Could Get Lessons In Anything Music Related, What Would It Be?

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
And why? I'd get voice lessons w/the goal of finding my uniqueness.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
Not really a lesson but I keep telling myself I need to train my ear to hear intervals in keys. I know basic music theory but I can't listen to a song and hear the pitch. My mum is a music teacher and she can listen to any song and tell you the key and every chord. It's like having a computer brain!

Apparently it's not that hard to do. My mentor kinda showed me some app with some shitty gui. Where it kinda plays a note and another and you have to try figure out what note it was. This is called relative pitch.

Seems a bit bland... hence why my lazy ass never committed to it. I wish i could hear chords tho

Your mum sounds like she has perfect pitch.

I definitely don't have perfect pitch, but sometimes I'll hear just one note and my brain associates a whole existing song to it and i can easily figure out the rest of it. Which i find weird. Especially as associating a note to specific thing I've heard is a characteristic of perfect pitch.

But yeah search for like relative pitch training or something.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Songwriting, composition and advanced music theory. Just to have a bit more knowledge and intelligence in developing something musically.

Piano lessons. With the intent of learning how to freely just play chords and link them together freely in a beautiful way. The ability to freely improvise.

Mixing. Not so much as in lessons or theory, as there's probably not much you could tell me i don't already know. But just getting more experience in application of it. Shadowing an engineer. Learning from their approach and practise.

Then after that vaguely just learning other instruments, learning to understand other time signatures better.

Apparently it's not that hard to do. My mentor kinda showed me some app with some shitty gui. Where it kinda plays a note and another and you have to try figure out what note it was. This is called relative pitch.

Seems a bit bland... hence why my lazy ass never committed to it. I wish i could hear chords tho

Your mum sounds like she has perfect pitch.

I definitely don't have perfect pitch, but sometimes I'll hear just one note and my brain associates a whole existing song to it and i can easily figure out the rest of it. Which i find weird. Especially as associating a note to specific thing I've heard is a characteristic of perfect pitch.

But yeah search for like relative pitch training or something.
You are correct sir. My mate had an app like that and he said it really helped him. He's a bassist in a band. Time to get it I think, make it a New Year's resolution!
I'm not sure if my brain does the same but I usually get melodies in my head, sing them into my phone and then when I get home I voice them out on the piano. I won't know what key it is until I touch the piano but then it all falls into place. But yeah wish I could hear chords.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Mixing. Not so much as in lessons or theory, as there's probably not much you could tell me i don't already know.
No offense at all intended but if you think that there is A LOT you don’t know. Mixing is an art that takes a lifetime to master. There is always so much to learn. Have you heard of lcr mixing for example? What about using compressor on sends for color not compression? The world is just so deep man.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
No offense at all intended but if you think that there is A LOT you don’t know. Mixing is an art that takes a lifetime to master. There is always so much to learn. Have you heard of lcr mixing for example? What about using compressor on sends for color not compression? The world is just so deep man.

Yes I've heard of all of that. Shadowed engineers with 30+ years experience. Played with some pretty tasty(and expensive af) hardware. Been shown by an engineer how to make your own Pultec EQs and such (and why you shouldn't :wtf:)

The point i was making, and thought i clarified, was exactly that... anything you're gonna learn about mixing out of a course or a book i probably know most of (minus certain tech stuff), but where I'd want to get more learning or "lessons" is in the sense of more real life experience and application, learning directly from the experience and practise of a seasoned professional.
(I'm actually really eager to get back in studio, so if anyone hears of any opps or contacts ;))

members online