If you think Eminem is the GOAT MC....

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
That song is dope man (y)
Thanks I really appreciate that, I was a Gab fan for years so I jumped at the chance to work with him. Obviously we weren't friends or anything and probably talked on the phone a total of 2-3 hours and that's it, but from what I could tell he was just a talented, humble dude that took his craft seriously. Im still so sad he is gone. He last few records were just remarkable.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Don't @2GooD Productions blame Puff and Wayne for the fall of Hip Hop, if anything blame the Rupert Murdoch's son co-founding Rawkus types who were on that "underground is real, fuck all else" shit and equally, non White participants who fell for that okie doke and other shit for Hip Hop's downfall. If anything I'd say Hip Hop fans are the worst as they don't know what they want and when someone diverts from what they were originally known for heads get salty.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: Em @Tarboosh Record making pop music, Hip Hop's been pop since "Rapper's Delight" which means the so called Hip Hop "community" needs to have the balls to properly critique itself regarding anything "pop" though "pop" isn't a "genre" by any means. I never was a "pop rap" fan since the term appeared in the 90s but one of its targets, Hammer, was a masterclass in the performance art of an MC, dude wasn't lyrical but when you think MC is move the crowd dude know how to make people dance. I always hated how posturing in Hip Hop became a substitute for performance.

Battle Points: 27
The blame for that goes to puffy and Lil Wayne for me. Although for changing the landscape of hip hop forever, you have a point.
Hip Hop for me started falling off after 50 Cent dropped. Its been downhill ever since.
Puffy defo has a hand in it haha... BUT, as Ive said before... Theres PLENTY of great music being made now! Its just not in the mainstream. Need to make an effort to find it (which makes it more rewarding imo)

Puffy defo has a hand in it haha... BUT, as Ive said before... Theres PLENTY of great music being made now! Its just not in the mainstream. Need to make an effort to find it (which makes it more rewarding imo)
yes i agree, there is SOME great music being made today, but you really have to look for it, nobody promotes it.

Yes I get it... Putting anyone up on a pedastall like that will only end in tears at the end of the day hehe.... Artists are only human innit. The thing that winds me up about Eminem fans is that they are so quick to scream out how he's the best there ever was (predominantly white people) bcos he raps fast or sold a lot of records. If I do hear someone say this (its almost ALWAYS a white man) I just ask 2 or 3 follow up questions and ultimately find out either 1- they just dont really know much Hip Hop OR They end up saying some racist sh*t
Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Its just what Ive personally noticed.
It depends on where you are coming from when you say "best ever". Being subjective, he is not my favorite but honestly if you listen to an album like his 'Recovery' and count the things that count to a back packer (punch lines, metaphors, multi syllable rhyme scheme) then in my opinion he is top 5 all day everyday. Especially when you are talking about hip hop at it's basic roots.

Who would you put on top of Eminem?
Don't let me be dissapointed in you :ROFLMAO:

It depends on where you are coming from when you say "best ever". Being subjective, he is not my favorite but honestly if you listen to an album like his 'Recovery' and count the things that count to a back packer (punch lines, metaphors, multi syllable rhyme scheme) then in my opinion he is top 5 all day everyday. Especially when you are talking about hip hop at it's basic roots.

I would say Em is top 5 for me, but Id put KRS One above him. Hes a cornerstone of hip hop, the teacher. Still going strong today.

I have my subjective top MC list and I have an Objective top MC list....

Objectively (or trying as best I can to be) I would have to put KRS, BDK, KGR and Rakim at the top... Then Jay Z, Pharoahe Monch, Black Thought, Masta Ace, Andre 3000, Nas, Snoop Dogg and mayyyybe Eminem would creep in to my top 20. My criteria is Originality, Influence, Classic Albums, Flow, Concepts, etc...

I have my subjective top MC list and I have an Objective top MC list....

Objectively (or trying as best I can to be) I would have to put KRS, BDK, KGR and Rakim at the top... Then Jay Z, Pharoahe Monch, Black Thought, Masta Ace, Andre 3000, Nas, Snoop Dogg and mayyyybe Eminem would creep in to my top 20. My criteria is Originality, Influence, Classic Albums, Flow, Concepts, etc...
I agree with Black Thought and Andre 3k. They are both in my top 5. After that I have would probably have Sean Price, King Crook and Eminem (in no particular order) but I can obviously see where the disconnect is. You are going off of a different criteria based on your preferences.

There is nothing wrong with that but you have to understand that people who have Eminem in their top 5 (maybe even number 1) are going off of skill as the gold standard. I tend to go with skill as well when it comes to the topic of "best rapper" because I am interpreting that in the most literal sense. Rap meaning the ability to rhyme words.

Last edited:
I agree with Black Thought and Andre 3k. They are both in my top 5. After that I have would probably have Sean Price, King Crook and Eminem (in no particular order) but I can obviously see where the disconnect is. You are going off of a different criteria based on your preferences.

There is nothing wrong with that but you have to understand that people who have Eminem in their top 5 (maybe even number 1) are going off of skill as the gold standard. I tend to go with skill as well when it comes to the topic of "best rapper" because I am interpreting that in the most literal sense. Rap meaning the ability to rhyme words.

Thats all good... But please note the original post here was for people claiming Em as GOAT 'MC'. As in 'GREATEST OF AAALLLL TIME' MC... Not 'top 5' or about me doubting his skills at all. Theres a diff between rapper and MC (but thats a whole other thread :)). Sure when it comes to 'rapping' Em is no doubt up there, but THEE GREATEST OF ALL TIME? If someone claims that then I have to doubt their Hip Hop credentials, But if they prove their Hip Hop credentials and bring interesting points to the table then I wont be mad at them for that... But my first instinct will be that they either dont know enough about Hip Hop or that theyre a tiny weenie bit racist :ROFLMAO: and thats going from what ive personally experienced.

Plus, Im not gonna die on this hill haha... Ive just always kinda thought that and thought itd be a fun discussion.

Oh, and Sean Price is a good shout skill-wise for sure.

Thats all good... But please note the original post here was for people claiming Em as GOAT 'MC'. As in 'GREATEST OF AAALLLL TIME' MC... Not 'top 5' or about me doubting his skills at all. Theres a diff between rapper and MC (but thats a whole other thread :)). Sure when it comes to 'rapping' Em is no doubt up there, but THEE GREATEST OF ALL TIME? If someone claims that then I have to doubt their Hip Hop credentials, But if they prove their Hip Hop credentials and bring interesting points to the table then I wont be mad at them for that... But my first instinct will be that they either dont know enough about Hip Hop or that theyre a tiny weenie bit racist :ROFLMAO: and thats going from what ive personally experienced.

Plus, Im not gonna die on this hill haha... Ive just always kinda thought that and thought itd be a fun discussion.

Oh, and Sean Price is a good shout skill-wise for sure.
I see where you are coming from bro, and as a white guy that listened to hip hop before Eminem it used to agitate me when other white people would say he was the goat because I knew it was mostly based on the fact that he was white, or because he was just their favorite.

As time passed though, he just got better and better. He was always creative and unique but eventually his skill got to the point where I could no longer deny that he is a top tier lyricist. I didn't see start seeing this until relapse/ recovery and a lot of people aren't aware of his newer work. They just hear the pop singles and reference his first two albums, which are good but lyrically there is no comparison to his newer work.

That being said I just always feel the need to stick up for him when it comes to the larger hip hop community because I feel like a portion of his fans are starting to ruin his legacy by using bad arguments on his behalf.

Obviously he doesn't need me to stick up for him but that is also a part of me being honest with myself, objectively against my bias for other rappers.

members online