I'm Having Problem w/ my recording :-(

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Between the encoding of the original mix, and the mastering my end product MP3 file has lost an incredible amount of quality

Any way to fix this?

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
save as a higher quality bitrate mp3.. i recommend 192kpbs... a 3-4 minute song will usually come out around 5 meg without losing anything very noticable. also depends on which mp3 encoder you are using.. lame enc. = open source and comes out with great quality.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Hmmmm....A couple things:

1. Your not mastering your MP3 are you? You want to master your final mix in an uncompressed format first > then convert to MP3 once your happy with the final result.

2. Does the mix sound good before you encode to MP3?

3. The odds are, that your mix is already very compressed and leaving no headroom for mastering.....then once you master your track whats happening is your squashing the dynamic range even more.....if this is the case, this can commonly ruin your final audio file pretty bad because of the excessive amount of limiting and compression.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
another thing to add, well a couple,

if you're using mp3 a lot then get to know how frequencies are handled as well as, finding out the frequency that drops like a rock (i think it's 16Hz or higher but i can't remember right now) this isn't easily compensated for and unlike the transition from mixing for vinyl vs cd, most pro's haven't dedicated their time in figuring out or even trying to mix tracks with mp3 in mind (not only in terms of reference tracks converted by them but also the bought and sold retailed cd that gets converted to mp3 and aac, usually at 128-192 in order for people to put more songs on their player and cd)

mp3 and conversions need more headroom, if you have your final at something like -.3 or slightly lower you need to lower it even more. unfortunately, there's nothing available that can can preview or relay info prior to conversion unlike something like an intersample distortion meter to avoid intersample peaks but conversion is quick so it's trial and error.

another would be converting directly from 24 bit if your working in 24 bit (or higher such as 32 bit float) , and doing it without dithering

yungboss

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Woww all ov this info is overwhelming.....its gonna take me a while to process this