These are the specs for the iMac I was looking at:

iMac, 20-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo
Part Number: Z0DH
Accessory kit
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
iWork '06 preinstalled
250GB Serial ATA Drive
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

Is this a good setup?
Are iMac's good for music production?
Should I get a Macbook Pro? I'm tired of waiting for the Core 2 Duo to come on Macbooks. Plus they are more expensive. It would cost me around $2300 for a brand new Macbook, while this iMac setup would cost me around $1900 brand new.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
Looks dope, I'm buyin the same when the paycheck comes in. Since its all one piece it's almost as portable as a lap.. I am going to partition mine for bboot camp to run mac and windows os.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i got a 13' macbook for school, i gotta say this thing is the shit for making beats. Having a laptop is nice as hell, whenever i feel like makin a beat i can just stretch out on the futon or some shit... sometimes i just roll around with it in my backpack.

Leroy PRC

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i got a powerbook 17" and produce everthing on it with cubase and tons of plugins. never ran in cpu-problems. your setup has 2 gigs ram, which is good, very good. you never can get enough ram...

O

open mind

imacs been used a lot from pros in the studio.they well know to be save and stable but its not the hardwar IMO its the os they got that is just stable instead of fuckin w****ws.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i hate apple and love them at the same time.. i swear i got this beautiful imac g5 that was sooo dope.... until like a month later they start producing these duo intels that are like twice as fast and leave my shit in the dust .... for the same damn price!! i forked out like 1800 on my shit if i waited a month coulda got the duo intel fully loaded for the same fucin price .. FUC DAT i got played! .. but to answer ur question yeah it looks good lol ..

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
I picked up the 24" Core 2 Duo a week ago. Runs MOTU Symphonic and Ethno Instruments in Standalone Mode perfectly.

To answer the question "Are iMacs good for music production?"...indeed my friend, yes indeed.

SIDEBAR: I'm running the machine with just the 1GB RAM that it came with from the factory. If you're gonna double it up, you'll be alright.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yes imacs are good, could you get a better PC for the same money..........yes !

bottom line is macs are very expensive for what they are and don't have as much compatability with software and hardware as pc's do !

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
Yeah but Windows blows as far as stability goes. As far as price goes, I don't know about Apple's price points in the UK, but in Canada, Apple pricing is getting pretty competitive with high-end PCs now.

As far as hardware and software for making music, Mac is just as compatible.

Damird, don't forget about the AppleCare.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
ok i'm converting to software and It's time for me to get a new Mac ... I have a old G4 right now and it won't get the job done. So I debated on getting the mac mini or possibly the Imac .... do you guys think that the mac mini is fast enough to run logic and a bunch of vsts?? or is it a neccesity to get the imac? .... lets take it a step further .... or do i need to get the Mac pro which is the tower that a quad core but cost like $2500 ... I'd hate to spend $2500 when a i mac ($1600) or mac mini ($800) can get the job done.

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
I can't really say for sure. I'm running Ethno and Symphonic together at the same time. It runs fine for me, but they are in standalone mode. I'm not running, say, Pro Tools or Logic at the same time. If you're planning on running a die-hard software based production studio, it's probably better to err on the safe side and get the Mac Pro one time.

The iMac is fine for me, but it may not be fine for you. Hopefully a Mac Pro user might tune in to the thread and put in their two cents to help with your question.

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
MadScientist said:
ok i'm converting to software and It's time for me to get a new Mac ... I have a old G4 right now and it won't get the job done. So I debated on getting the mac mini or possibly the Imac .... do you guys think that the mac mini is fast enough to run logic and a bunch of vsts?? or is it a neccesity to get the imac? .... lets take it a step further .... or do i need to get the Mac pro which is the tower that a quad core but cost like $2500 ... I'd hate to spend $2500 when a i mac ($1600) or mac mini ($800) can get the job done.

Is the mac software really worth the price of the hardware??

But that said i read recently that the higher end macs were competitively priced with the PC counterparts, i dont know if its still true, but if it is it would seem you'd probably getting more value for money on the more expensive machines, than the cheaper ones.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
i hate apple and love them at the same time.. i swear i got this beautiful imac g5 that was sooo dope.... until like a month later they start producing these duo intels that are like twice as fast and leave my shit in the dust .... for the same damn price!! i forked out like 1800 on my shit if i waited a month coulda got the duo intel fully loaded for the same fucin price .. FUC DAT i got played! .. but to answer ur question yeah it looks good lol ..

lol ouch