Imaging software?

BobCarter

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I saw The Art of Mixing with David Gibson yesterday and I was curious if any of you have seen it and/or know a good program that can be used to help map out placements of instruments in a mix visually like in the DVD...

I have the Waves diamond bundle so I could be overlooking something I may already have, but if any of you know of a good plug-in for visually displaying the placement of instruments in a mix I would love to know. I realize this question may be elementary but I figure I might as well ask it now and get familiar with this mixing and mastering stuff before I start to pound out any more beats

haha thanks everyone...

BobCarter

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Check your inbox bro...let me know if you find/know of a program that can image the sounds the same way displayed in the video

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well as far as my quick little plug-in digging session went.. found some lil nifty vst called "rayspace" which is part of the "quik quack plugin pack"
if you need help finding it, lemme know :p

The whole point is that the instruments are placed according to the ear of the music maker.
There are some conventions mentioned in the video, like panning hihats to the left.
Whn I pan instruments I generally try to make the whole track balanced from left to right so no particular side dominates.
For example I could balance the panned hats by placing high freq strings in the right channel,
the more I pan the hats the more I would pan the strings in the opposite direction.
Also on another note, bass freq's due to their nature of being felt more as well as heard, should always be placed center.
Conventions used for instrument placement vary from genre to genre. The best way to find out is by listening very carefully to some of your favorite tracks and see how the instruments are placed in them.
The best way to find out is use the information in the video with regards to what the various equing and mixing tools actually do, and then get hands on and twiddle those dials.
Every plugin has its own learning curve, some steeper than others, many plugins are just variations on others.
Learn about compression/limiting, basic equing, delays, flanger and chorus plugins, then you are better armed to move onto some of the other plugins.
Since I watched that video I always try to get the same visual picture in my head as I mix and pan.

members online

No members online now.