improvin your rapper's voice

Helios

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
When I was listening, a time ago, to 50 cent - in da club accappella version, I was amazed how his voiced was changed, doubled and harmonized, because listening to the whole track, I didn't really hear that.

So my question is, what are the best fx I can use, that will improve the voice, without changin it too much.

Anynone knows some nice plugins? harmonizers?

E

Equality 7-2521

yeah i first noticed this voice enhancement trend with Aesop Rock. Its really obvious in his songs and now i notice just about every rapper has his voice enhanced. i think it works well for some artists but i really respect rappers who sound dope without enhancement, such as Labtekwon.

i dont know the specifics of doing it but obviously things like phasing and echo etc work well. Sometimes they record particular words with a different vocal expression/tone and place it over the top of the original lyric.

im interested in the response from more knowledgable people......

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
Funny you say that... Pick up this month's copy of EQ...they have the guy who recorded his voice in there, giving pointers.

D

DJlow2

if you use FL studio by any chance... use the chorus, take the noise out of the acapella by using the free filter, solidify the clarity of the acapella use the 7 band eq cutting off the lowpass... play around with the presets..

-Dj Low 2

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

I have a Yamaha DSP Factory soundcard, which is a card that has DSP chips on it to do effects like reverb, chorus, etc. One of my favorite things to do to vocals it to run them through the dual-pitch shifting effect and set the wet/dry balance to 50-50. Then I modify each pitched voice to only be a few cents of 0% and pan them hard left and right...this gives the impression that the vocalist has recorded his performance several times perfectly in time with each other but a little off pitch. It really thickens up the voice a lot.

There are plugins which will do something similar, you'll have to look for something like 'pitch shift'. Waves makes a really nice one, and Cool Edit Pro 2.x has one built into the software which you can run as a send or insert in the multitrack.

Take care,

Nick

ill o.g.
Once you lay the vocals down, record it twice (or copy it and put it on a different channel), then put the first channel panned all the way left. Then put the second channel panned all the way right. I do this all the time and it doesnt make it sound like you put it through 10 different fx, it just sounds a little more surround sound-like.

(I think dr. dre uses that on some tracks. Im not sure though)

members online