Improvising/Composing

Olio Cad

ill o.g.
music theory is certainly helpful in creating the sound that you hear in your head, but it should not be relied upon as your only tool to compose with. as soon as you start to adhere to music theory's rules, you lose some authenticity in your compositions.

theres a reason its called music theory, as opposed to the laws of music.

try a different approach when you create this song with a "summer" feeling. bring up a synth you like, and experiment with all the presets until you find a nice, warm sound that reminds you of summer. then pull out your midi keyboard (definitely a useful tool if you don't have one, otherwise use your computers keyboard) and jam out until you play something your happy with, and keep it. don't worry about what key your in, what intervals you use, or if your using the proper cadence. wait til you hear that melody that makes you go "oh shit!"

loop that melody and just listen to it over and over, and you'll begin to hear other things that might improve your song (a beat, a harmony, maybe a bassline). let your subconscious take over, and try to emulate what your hearing in your head. if you truly love the type of music your creating, then composing it should come easy. as charlie parker once said: "Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don’t live it, it won’t come out of your horn."

just do it.

music theory is certainly helpful in creating the sound that you hear in your head, but it should not be relied upon as your only tool to compose with. as soon as you start to adhere to music theory's rules, you lose some authenticity in your compositions.

theres a reason its called music theory, as opposed to the laws of music.

try a different approach when you create this song with a "summer" feeling. bring up a synth you like, and experiment with all the presets until you find a nice, warm sound that reminds you of summer. then pull out your midi keyboard (definitely a useful tool if you don't have one, otherwise use your computers keyboard) and jam out until you play something your happy with, and keep it. don't worry about what key your in, what intervals you use, or if your using the proper cadence. wait til you hear that melody that makes you go "oh shit!"

loop that melody and just listen to it over and over, and you'll begin to hear other things that might improve your song (a beat, a harmony, maybe a bassline). let your subconscious take over, and try to emulate what your hearing in your head. if you truly love the type of music your creating, then composing it should come easy. as charlie parker once said: "Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don’t live it, it won’t come out of your horn."

just do it.

great advice.
most tracks evolve as you make them to the point that if you let it the beat makes itself.

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
If u like freestylin on the keyboard, u can try wut i do ...i start off w/ a steady clap through the track, cuz the metronome jus isnt my thing..Set up some keys n just hit record....Freestyle for a good 10 minutes give or take, then play it n find what parts i like...N just build from there...If u make a melody thats in ur head, chances are u've heard it before n ur just remakin someone elses shit...If u are just freestylin doin ur own thing, that shits original...Even when ppl hate, 2 me my tracks go hard, cuz i kno n the end no1 can take credit for It but me. I can respect what ppl can do w/ samples, But composin is another game, jus make sure ur "composing" your own music, and not Bitin every1 else.

theres no Set in stone way to compose music, just because it's not what people are used to hearing does not mean it's bad. If ppl criticize what ur doin, dont conform to tha norm lmao, but take that shit in, criticism can b constructive. It really comes down to How ur feelin, N how good ur ears are. Some ppl r born with them ears n some ppl gotta train themselves 2 get em...I worked my ass off to understand music the way i do, But my boy can listen to a song one time and play every note in it Without thinking...dudes gifted, im determined..big difference. Find ur style n Go with it.

Olio Cad

ill o.g.
something else that has yet to be touched upon in this post, but is an important aspect of music theory, is rhythm. you'd be surprised at what a strong knowledge of rhythms can do to your beats, even basic rhythm notation skills. if you want a beat to feel laid back, or pushed a bit or something, knowing exactly where to put the various sounds helps. a shit load.

and although the circle of fifths is undoubtedly a great tool, its really meant more for the musicians out there who have to be able to play in whatever key is thrown at them. we, on the other hand, have the power to easily transpose to any key we want to. instead of overloading your mind with all the keys in the circle of fifths, try learning one key really friggin well. learn all kinds of chords in that one key. i, for example, could play piano in most keys, but i would love to be in A flat all the time. i know that one key in and out, i play anything i write in that key first. then i transpose it to whatever key suits the song the best.

music theory was created by people out there who listened to music, hated that everything didn't follow rules, and had to make rules for it. can't we leave some things unhindered by structure?

I just find five keys that sound right when I move up them. Then add many variations on the five keys in different instruments, with variations based on playing the same five keys in many different ways, either changes in timing or changes up and down the five keys. Chords get a little more complicated to explain for me, I just do them by ear, without really understanding the process. I sort of understand the circle of fiths based on my five key method. At least I think I do. I think the most important thing is getting the ears accustomed to hearing what key changes sound right, what variations work together. Its all a matter of practice, I dont think there are any fast track methods, unless you are truly gifted with a natural talent to HEAR music from the outset.

Olio Cad

ill o.g.
listen and copy.

yea. copy songs you like and respect, try to imitate their sounds to a science, and learn exactly what notes they are playing. learn what all of it means in relation to music theory. music theory then becomes more applicable to create the kind of beats you want to make.

happy thanksgiving

members online

No members online now.