Indie Label

• beat this! voting starts in...

Treynine39

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Anyone taking producing serious, have you thought of starting an Independant label? It's expensive at first, but the long run is sweet.

G

GiftOfGab

Why, have you done it?? How much does it cost to start one up???

Treynine39

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
If you have recording equipment, starting a label isn't hard at all. It just takes alot of time and dedication. First you have to find artists, next record a few tracks and put them into CD or record form. Then you can either take them and sell them out of the trunk to get "start up" money. Then establish your label as a small business (see local laws). What I have done was make a bunch of copies and give them to college radio stations to get regular rotations, and now we have people wanting the purchase the record. Then hit up local clubs. Then go through Discmakers and get a bunch of copies to give to mom and pop shops off consignment. If you sell enough units, a major label will sign you to a label deal.

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I'm looking into starting my own lable just now trying to get my production company off the ground

J

joblack00

hmm interesting thread to read while punching the clock at my 9-5. Anyways I am thinking about starting my own production team and company and I am in a unique spot to do it.

I am a student at Howard University in D.C. and you can't throw a rock in any direction without hitting atleast 5 people who want to be rappers or singers. I just got into beatmaking and I am progressing quite nicely to where I have a few artists request one of my joints and I am working on a few albums for some cats I know who rap. All for the love of good music and fun. Not trying to bite anyones style but create my own.

I mean I am not sure where I want to take this but that's all I love doing is making beats learning about the technicalities of making a song, buying equipment and so forth. So I have been considering starting a label to just produce quality music that's all.

I am not one for all the politics in the game which is why rap is kinda asleep now and also makes me hesitant about aggressivley trying to go pro. I don't want my hobby to feel like how I feel when I get up each morning to go to work.

But I don't love my monkey suit job. I love music. And it wouldn't be so bad to get paid for it.

So if there is any like minded individuals here hit me up and we can talk about this INDIE Label thing. All information about Copyright and Small Business Stuff is all right up the street from where I live so the education part would be easy.

The strategy part and execution is where the right people come into place.

I feel like I am sitting on a goldmine here but not sure how to reap the benefits. I hope someone here feels what I am saying.