Industry Standard... But For How Long?

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I know PT is the industry standard now, but how long can it remain "King Of The Mountain"? It seems with all the technological advances another program could just creep up in the middle of the night and just take the crown.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I used to work with Pro Tools 7.0 and loved it.

I recently got Cubase and it's just as good. With VSTi instruments and VST plug-ins regardless of your software of choice you can make good/clean music.

Almost every major recording studio uses Pro Tools. It's beneficial because you can send sessions via e-mail and be able to open it up at any other studio around the globe.

Why would people switch from Pro Tools when there's not a program that offers any significant features that it doesn't already have.

It's like the MV-8000 vs. MPC... why would a guy with an MPC even think of getting that... he already has a MPC.

By the way, I now have Cubase more for monetary reasons.

Getting Pro Tools would have required I get another hard-drive in my computer. I didn't have the $150 bucks at the time and was desperate to get to recording.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
When I was a Graphic Designer we compared this debate to Quark VS InDesign.

Everyone uses Quark but Indesign owns Quark all day. When you take the time to learn all it's features you will wonder why no one really uses InDesign instead. The reason is everyone uses Quark so when you use it, you belong to a broader community and it makes it easier to conduct business.

Samething with ProTools. Every major studio runs Protools. So if you handle your project in ProTools from the beginning, it makes it easier to bring your work into almost any studio because they are probably running ProTools.

I don't have anything against ProTools but I use Logic and am in the middle of putting together a tutorial for it and in my humble opinion, Logic kills other music programs. The engineer for Dallas Austin lives and dies by Logic.

Only reason Logic hasn't taken ProTools is because you have to have a Mac to run it and well... Mac only owns like 6% of the market share when it comes to CPU owners.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
When I was a Graphic Designer we compared this debate to Quark VS InDesign.

Everyone uses Quark but Indesign owns Quark all day. When you take the time to learn all it's features you will wonder why no one really uses InDesign instead. The reason is everyone uses Quark so when you use it, you belong to a broader community and it makes it easier to conduct business.

Samething with ProTools. Every major studio runs Protools. So if you handle your project in ProTools from the beginning, it makes it easier to bring your work into almost any studio because they are probably running ProTools.

I don't have anything against ProTools but I use Logic and am in the middle of putting together a tutorial for it and in my humble opinion, Logic kills other music programs. The engineer for Dallas Austin lives and dies by Logic.

Only reason Logic hasn't taken ProTools is because you have to have a Mac to run it and well... Mac only owns like 6% of the market share when it comes to CPU owners.

agreed but that's not really why logic hasn't become the standard. audio editing in logic is a joke compared to pt 7.3, although hopefully apple will change this with logic 8. i love logic and use it everyday but for tracking and vocals it really can't measure up to pt

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
On the High End the reason why protools and mac are so standard is because of the foothold at the high end studios early on before the home standards....

I see at some point being a new DAW that might be based on PC being developed that is cheaper and more powerful....the problem is that protools makes excellent hardware and complementary software...if protools could be used on a wider range of gear it would be very hard to see any other software coming close though, i just using it for dumping my tracks to and bouncing though, no composing or arranging in it even though you can, but for the most part the production software marketshare belongs to a few other manufacturers like Fruity, Acid and Reason.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
And why even keep upgrading PT? Seriously I mean with like 5.3 or w/e you were good to go , Im at 6.4 and I dont plan on goin anywhere for the moment unless the upgrade is free..

You have a Digi001, don't you?

I feel ya tho. I have an AMIII card and a copy of PTLE 5.01 for Win98SE, PTLE 6.1, AND 6.8 for my Audiophile 192.

The only reason I use PT is to send out sessions. I'm far more productive in Cubase/FL 6 than ProTools.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
PT is the industry standard because of they were the first stable DAW. They had farmcards that used DSP power to allay any software problems. ProTools crashed, but not as much as other completely software native applications. Remember that a lot of cats these days in the homestudio game use PT LE or M versions, like the M-Box, etc. Remember, though-- in the big leagues they still use the PT HD, which offers a stable environment for recording bands, etc. live.

Also, remember the "producer culture"-- any time PT comes out with latest converters or some unnecessary sample rate, audiophiles in the industry always compete to get the latest stuff. PT supplies the big studios for free with "sample" DAWs or systems, and the smaller cats then strive to be on par.

Plus, do you really think you can collab in the industry out in LA if you hand someone a Cakewalk file with audio pools? Hell no, they won't think you're "serious" because you don't have PT. The thing is, unless you're recording rock bands or live acts, you don't necessarily need PT anymore-- but it still is the industry standard. For reasons BigDMakinTrax and I pointed out.

-God

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
TheMost; said:
Whats DAW system?

No.....

lol Its a Digital Audio Wav...If u didnt know tho its cool.
Hell maybe Im wrong , maybe its a Demonic Ass Wanker.

Im just happy I was in a thread in which God was too..Great material God!
I read you alot !

konceptG; said:
You have a Digi001, don't you?

I feel ya tho. I have an AMIII card and a copy of PTLE 5.01 for Win98SE, PTLE 6.1, AND 6.8 for my Audiophile 192.

The only reason I use PT is to send out sessions. I'm far more productive in Cubase/FL 6 than ProTools.

Oh and yes I do ..Until it burns out Im gonna keep rockin it.. I dont need to keep up as long as the newer versions read w/e I bring them..

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
On the High End the reason why protools and mac are so standard is because of the foothold at the high end studios early on before the home standards....

I see at some point being a new DAW that might be based on PC being developed that is cheaper and more powerful....the problem is that protools makes excellent hardware and complementary software...if protools could be used on a wider range of gear it would be very hard to see any other software coming close though, i just using it for dumping my tracks to and bouncing though, no composing or arranging in it even though you can, but for the most part the production software marketshare belongs to a few other manufacturers like Fruity, Acid and Reason.

It was already done.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM01/Content/EMU_ENSONIQ/PR/PARIS-Pro.html

The Ensoniq Paris system was, at the time I was originally introduced to it (1998), the most powerful DAW you could buy. The problem was that it was introduced at a time when Digidesign had a strong foothold in the industry. Most major recording studios had two main types of suites, the Analog suite with 24 track reels and the ProTools suite (an optional third suite had ADAT's in it). Getting an established studio to add yet another DAW that hadn't been battle tested was too difficult (I know, I tried to sell a number of studio owners on it). In the end, PARIS died out, but not after Ensoniq tried to keep it alive through software revisions and hardware changes.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I am trying to grinding as fast as I can but the cpu's are still too slow. The video encoding from the screen capture is soooo slow. but as as soon as I am done.. ..I'll post a few Logic clips up so you guys can get an idea of how it looks and works. I am shooting for August 17th but we'll see.

I am producing my whole project in Reason and Logic and I will use the process as a sort of tutorial. It wont cover everything but it will show a lot. I will post all the good stuff for free as soon as it is done.