Inspiration: Natasha Ramos -Midnight Hour: Produced by Neptunes

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
This is crazy old, but I see it as good source of influence if you got beat block.

So its broken down kind of in the sense of real production of a track. First the ideas and tracks are made, then the beat is mixed down, then the final production of the song.

So here are the three phases I could find.

In the studio:

The Song completed:

I hope this gives you guys some inspiration with music. I hope after this you really evaluate what you want from music. Sometimes it not always about how hot the beat is in your room, but the potential of it in the hands of an artist. So as a producer really think about what you want done with YOUR beat.

Late

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
What inspired this Kon? This is exactly what I needed... I think. Theres so much hype around the dopest beats and lyrics/no lyrics, its easy to lose sight of music. I gotta digest this and figure out how to translate it into my domain. Thanks again.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Seriously, I cant tell you how dope that was. Funny thing is I've seen all 3 of these videos separately before but never put them together in a progressive way. To see how this song came about from concept to finished product is really cool. Props on putting this together Kontents. We need more of that thought process around here.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
big ups Kontents for a valuable post, definitely good to see the process at work. also good to consider what the artist will do with the track, leaving some room for them to do their thing...

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just wanted to point out, that there's 2 versions of this song.

I beleive 2 different singers as well...

One you will notice the sub bass more, and the drums were re-done with (real drums)
-The instrumental youtube video the OP posted

and the other still has the drumkit Pharrell originally used.
-The Ramos demo of the song

I forgot the other girls name who also sings it to the official instrumental with live drums and revised mix..but its fly.

I felt like the energy of the track remained in the Natasha version though (without the acoustic drums)

But its amazing to see the process of this great song, and it still gets no shine

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I just wanted to point out, that there's 2 versions of this song.

I beleive 2 different singers as well...

One you will notice the sub bass more, and the drums were re-done with (real drums)
-The instrumental youtube video the OP posted

and the other still has the drumkit Pharrell originally used.
-The Ramos demo of the song

I forgot the other girls name who also sings it to the official instrumental with live drums and revised mix..but its fly.

I felt like the energy of the track remained in the Natasha version though (without the acoustic drums)

But its amazing to see the process of this great song, and it still gets no shine

If you find em throw them in here for more reference.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This is the original demo (Natasha Ramos) with the original production:

You can hear the BIG difference in the mix (especially in backing vocals) and the drums don't sit out as much. But you can FEEL the energy a little bit different than in the following revised version:

This is the instrumental revised, in arrangement and mix apparently. But very important to note this is where pharrel also got on the drumset and layered or replaced the ASR kit.

I actually downloaded both versions a while back, and they gave the credit to another girl on star trak, but I don't have that HDD no more...But yeah here is how she sounds on the final version:

Which i actually think is better vocally (did better or on the backings for sure) and the vocals are clearer. But that took alot from the dynamics of the beat, imo, especially how the piano and bassline was dominate on the "cheap" drum kit

----

Im looking for the original instrumental, so you can hear what i mean

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I like the Natasha ramos version more.