Intelligence and making beats...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
andreas said:
My take on it is that if he had a sample he could acompany it with the right stuff. He'd make the bassline right and put stuff in there like synkops that an untrained person wouldn't know how to operate.
What I'm saying is. If you can make music and are a musician you can transend genres. Ofcourse there are schooled musicians that can't compose and only play other peoples work. but if you can compose music, I think you might have a preedisposition to make beats, or techno, or whatever. Cuz the basics of mucial production. Pop, techno, beats, whatever is structurarely the same.
There's harmonies and subharmonies and rhythms. And those things are really a common denominator I think.

That, of course, depends on what type of hiphop you're reffering to... if you're talking about some orcherstrated "The Roots" kind, well, yeah, a trained musician can play that shit... but, of course, he needs to know hiphop and have creative skills...

Thing is, hiphop dont really have a set structure, so you cant really train to make an hiphop track... Having music skills will help, but it's not all. Or then, that person will do beats with no personality... like a "standard" hiphop track with a standard hiphop structure (if that's possible)...

To summerize my idea: Someone who's not into but is a musician who learned the basics will do a basic beat. But if he doesn't have that little plus, his beats will never match the beats of professional beatmakers...

As for using samples, well that's actually kind of hard, if you do it seriously. Looping a 4 bars sample is kind of easy and lazy. the hard part is cutting/rearranging the sample to make something new out of something old. And knowing music doesn't REALLY help...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
StressWon said:
lol,,naw,,,that was in the 4th grade.
HA I'll grab a trumpet that I played in the 6th grade and we can rock it.
I have respect for any true musician but I hate ignorant people who just hate on hiphop.
It makes me rage so before I get on a soapbox I'll stop I already said enough on this.

orpheus

Cook Classics
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
Anybody can learn to make beats...anybody can learn to play an instrument...you just have to have a little intelligence, musical nature, and the drive to do it. But that doesn't mean you're gonna be any good at it. To do it is one thing, to REALLY do it is entirely different. It's like somebody saying anybody can play basketball...yeah no shit...but not anybody can be the next fucking Michael Jordan

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Relic said:
HA I'll grab a trumpet that I played in the 6th grade and we can rock it.
I have respect for any true musician but I hate ignorant people who just hate on hiphop.
It makes me rage so before I get on a soapbox I'll stop I already said enough on this.
Yo Relic, I played the triangle in the first grade...can I get in and jam with you and stress? I can bring da heat on the triangle yo...you don't know! LOL...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
orpheus said:
It's like somebody saying anybody can play basketball...yeah no shit...but not anybody can be the next fucking Michael Jordan
I'll take that, that's true...

O

open mind

J-ReZyN said:
Yo Relic, I played the triangle in the first grade...can I get in and jam with you and stress? I can bring da heat on the triangle yo...you don't know! LOL...
LMFAO nice1 u guys are great u always catch me for a laugh a day!!!

hollaatroy

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I think moderate intelligence, creativity, and practice can make you a good musician (traditional), a good beat maker/producer, or good at anything artistic (sculpting, painting, ballet dancer, etc).

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I told a trumpet player, " You took the time to learn how to spit into a brass pipe. I took the time to learn how to bang on rubber pads". Sure there is more to it but playing a trumpet is considered art because society says it is. A lot of musicians are essentially just instruments when it comes to laying out a complete song. I watched my friend learn how to play a guitar over the course of the summer. I also watched a friend who couldnt blend two records together blossom into one of the illest DJ's I know. That took years. Yeah some can play the hell out of an instrument. Impress me map out a complete song man. Make that shit knock so people will nod to the beat. Not everyone can make Hip Hop.

members online